Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage

i used to be able to text people from my computer but now it just says the number is not registered in imessage and i never had this problem before how can i fix it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:41 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 2:00 PM in response to KATIE05161991

Hi Katie,

Thanks for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like you're no longer able to send iMessages from your iMac. This might happen if your Apple ID (iMessage account) isn't linked to your Mac, or if your phone number isn't linked to your Apple ID.

To resolve this situation, try these steps from iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage:

Phone number missing on OS X

If your phone number isn't listed on your Mac, follow these steps:

1. Update to the latest version of OS X on your Mac.
  2. Verify that you're using the same Apple ID that you're using on your iPhone.
  3. Sign out of your Apple ID at these locations on your Mac:
    • Messages > Preferences > Accounts tab. Click iMessage in the left column, then click Sign Out.
    • FaceTime > Preferences. Select your Apple ID, then click Sign Out.
  4. Close FaceTime and Messages on your Mac.
  5. Open FaceTime and Messages, then sign in to your Apple ID in Preferences.

If your phone number still isn't listed on your Mac, follow these steps:

1. Sign out of your Apple ID on all iOS devices, including your iPhone, in the following locations:
    • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Sign out of your Apple ID on your Mac at the following locations:
    • Messages > Preferences > Accounts tab. Click iMessage in the left column, then click Sign Out.
    • FaceTime > Preferences. Select your Apple ID, then click Sign Out.
  3. Close FaceTime and Messages on your Mac.
  4. Sign in to your Apple ID on your iPhone.
  5. When activation is complete, your Apple ID and all verified email addresses should be visible in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and also in Settings > FaceTime.
  6. Open FaceTime and iMessage, then sign in to your Apple ID in Preferences.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.