Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Edit in External Editor in new Photos app

No option, menu or shortcut to edit in external editor in the new Photos app. Why not? For professionals, there is no reason to use the built in editing options, an external editor is mandatory. Please put this back into your photo app. Or continue support of iPhoto.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), new Photos App

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:01 PM

You have to export to a folder of your choice and then open the files from there in your external editor.

File Export Export unmodified original. And then if you like you can re-import them to Photos.

These are community pages here, Apple does not respond to these.

8 replies

Apr 24, 2015 2:46 PM in response to AllisonRAllisonR

Export, then import again doesn't work. Even if you have the original album open in Photo, it imports as a new import, not into the original album.

I have a better workaround - Photos Library - show package contents - find folder "Masters" - put in your Doc or an alias on your desktop. Find the images from the appropriate subfolder and edit as needed. As long as I do a save as instead of a save, then the database should not be affected.

Apr 24, 2015 3:05 PM in response to AllisonRAllisonR

No body has done anything to iPhoto - it is still exactly the same as it was - Apple (no one here in these user forums) has ADDED Photos as a new and additional capability - Photos uses extensions for functions that used to connect directly to iPhoto - it is up to the program's authors to develop exertions for Photos to provide external editing

If you are not happy with Photos then just continue to use iPhoto

LN

May 14, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Eau Rouge

What a huge pain in the ... How does this work when you have a library of 14000 photos?

This looks like a great way to lose photos and double the size and complexity of your photo albums. This is stupid and unnecessary and will make me bypass Photos entirely. Just use Photoshop and forget about Photos...if Apple will let you...

Oct 17, 2015 3:34 AM in response to Eau Rouge

As a loyal and enthusiastic Mac user for 20 years, and a former Apple Store salesman, I've always known that Apple built its reputation on not just being more user-friendly and superior to Windows in every way, but also on being the hands-down choice of creative people in arts and media. So, it came as a shock to me that the denizens of Cupertino would dumb down a product by eliminating a feature that their user base would depend on. I'd never thought I'd see the day when I would consider dumping Mac, but now that I've been playing around with Ubuntu ... hmmm ... I wonder? So, No, I'm not going to budge beyond 10.10.2 until one of three things happen: 1. This oversight is remedied and Photos is restored to the same functionality as iPhoto; 2. Number 1 doesn't occur, 10.10.2 becomes unusably outdated and I switch to Linux in disgust; 3. You-know-where freezes over :-)

Can't Edit in External Editor in new Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.