Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I hit "full screen" I get the full screen but cannot figure how to get back to the smaller screen.

When I hit "enter full screen" under the View button, I get a full screen but can't get out of it. i opened a UTube presentation and made it full screen then back to small screen. My desktop window then went back to the smaller display. How do I go from full screen to small screen normally? My computer was bought new in 2010 and has OS X 10.6.8. I have not upgraded to a newer system.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 1:58 PM

15 replies

Apr 25, 2015 1:52 AM in response to jim reeves

If you are using Firefox browser, sometimes there may be an issue with full-screen

if you had not set the option buttons or tools for the screen-resize arrows to appear.

As this was not a featured item in earlier OS X versions, to have the icon to change

screen size in the boundary of upper browser or open application windows, some

earlier uses of the idea were not adequate if you did not have a way to return to the

main menu bar. ~One way would be to remember the keys to open "Force Quit"

the contextual menu with that should show you any open applications, plus Finder.

User uploaded file

You can quit the application stuck in full-screen that way, but nothing would be saved

unless the browser were set to save previous content & cookies. (Mine are not.)

{so Command-Option-Escape should open the contextual menu to force quit}

See link added below to 'disable full-screen mode with keyboard shortcut' search.

Not sure how you'd convince Safari to revert to a small window after going full-screen

if the standard keyboard shortcut (as indicated in browser by archaic icons) won't do.

There usually is an elegant way to work around issues in OS X, yet with the newer

ones, most of them seem to have been removed from the user interface after 10.6.8.

A cross-section of items appears from a search, using this URL to look where I did:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=quit+full+screen+mac

•And note 'disable full-screen mode with keyboard shortcut' search results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mac+os+x+disable+full+screen+with+keyboard+ shortcut

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 25, 2015 12:11 PM in response to jim reeves

Could you use keyboard command to get a screenshot of that, & post it,

so others who view this thread later may understand your solution better?

You're fortunate to not have to force-quit a full-screen window to escape

the application that is controlled by its normal view access.

Some pre-Lion applications do not have the same iconographic items 😐

When I hit "full screen" I get the full screen but cannot figure how to get back to the smaller screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.