Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need more USB ports on my iMac

I'm running into two issues.

When I purchase USB hubs, they only have a few ports, like 4. So, I'm having to use two or three hubs. That makes a mess behind my computer and it's a pain. Is the reason USB hubs only have a few ports because they don't work well when you have more?

The second issue is that some things don't work when I use the USB hub. Do you think it's because the device may need a version other than the hub version (meaning USB 2 vs. UBS 3)? Do devices usually specifically work on USB 2 or USB 3 and not both?

I bought my iMac in January 2015 from an Apple Store.

Thank you in advance for any help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:39 PM

Here's some information on 7 and 10 port, self-powered, USB 3.0 hubs which are backward compatible.

The Best USB 3.0 Hubs

Just make sure you get self powered hubs so you don't overload the USB port on the Mac.

User uploaded file

10 replies

Apr 24, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Old Toad

What do you mean by slowest drive? Does that refer to USB 2? Something else?

And, if I got two of the 7 ports, or a 7 and a 10, of the hubs you referenced in the link you provided would it matter how I connected those? They would be the same speed, I'm assuming.

Thank you so much for the information. Seriously, it's saving me lots of brain turmoil and research time.

Apr 25, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Old Toad

Regarding the HooToo HT-UH010 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, I'm confused why they are providing two "special ports" to charge iPhones and iPads. Why are these special ports needed? I have always synced iPhones, etc. using a regular USB port. I'm wondering if I will have to use one of the regular ports to sync my iPhone and such. If so, I'll need more regular USB ports.

I need more USB ports on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.