Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What have you done to iPhoto? Why is it no longer possible to edit photos in an outside editor?e editor

I just updated my apps. Suddenly there is no iPhoto, no ability to edit in an outside editor like Photoshop. Are the gurus at Apple suddenly bereft of common sense? Many of my photos are archived in iPhoto. I'm sure there are multi-step solutions to this problem, but why, especially when it used to be so simple?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:40 PM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2015 2:52 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

I have the same shock. I posted the workaround in my original post.

Go to Photo Library - show package contents - find the masters folder - I suggest dragging the folder to your Doc or an alias somewhere useful. YOu can now manually go through all the subfolders via date to find your image. Right click and edit in photoshop. I would do a save as, to a totally different location outside of Photo Library. A regular save, or saving within the Photo Library might mess up the Photo database.

Apr 24, 2015 3:03 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

No body has done anything to iPhoto - it is still exactly the same as it was - Apple (no one here in these user forums) has ADDED Photos as a new and additional capability - Photos uses extensions for functions that used to connect directly to iPhoto - it is up to the program's authors to develop exertions for Photos to provide external editing

If you are not happy with Photos then just continue to use iPhoto

LN

Apr 25, 2015 5:30 AM in response to eriosky

eriosky wrote:

Are you telling us that the "drag and drop" we used with iPhoto to open photos in Photoshop was a 3rd party plugin? … 😮

Basically, yes. Photoshop installs lots of plugins (& other support files like frameworks), including many that interface with services specific to OS X.

Drag & drop between any two apps is much more complex "under the hood" than you might think (mostly because a dragged object can represent several different things, only some of which the target app may be able to process). It is even more complex for something like iPhoto because the dragged object may be modified in the external app & iPhoto needs to know what, if any, changes it needs to make to its internal database & other library support files to keep everything in sync. The filesystem may also have to be updated for much the same reasons, particularly if the source file isn't in the iPhoto Library.

Unless the apps involved are coded to support all this, drag & drop won't work.

Apr 25, 2015 8:53 AM in response to eriosky

With iPhoto one can set any 3rd party application to be the external editor to be used from within iPhoto:

User uploaded file

Then the app is accessed by Control (right) - clicking on a thumbnail in iPhoto and selecting Edit in external editor:

User uploaded file

This does not involve any plugins.

Now with Photos we will need an plugin from the developers of the editor in able to do the same thing. Dragging and dropping has nothing to do with this particular "in house" feature. Unfortunately the drag and drop to the editor in the Dock capability has been turned off with Photos.

Apr 25, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

This does not involve any plugins.

That's true, but to actually work it does require that the external editor app be able to process at least some of the file types the photo might be stored as, & for the Dock (or application) drop to work for the app to declare that capability to the OS. It also requires the editing app be able to resolve any ambiguities resulting from the possibility that the selected (or dragged) photo could represent more than one file (as in edited or original) or filetype (as in the several image formats that can contain embedded pre-rendered previews & such), possibly with the cooperation of iPhoto & the OS to run so called 'sanity checks.'

What I think is likely to happen with Photos is the same thing that the Photoshop family has done in the past with opening photos in the iPhoto Library package directly from the open dialog of those apps: the Media > Photos sidebar item will display the Photos library in the same way it now displays the iPhoto (& Photo Booth & any other package declared as a primary photo library) contents, using their built-in databases & such to organize the choices into whatever that library supports, like Events, Places, etc. for iPhoto. That will require the app to understand the Photo library structure, probably with the help of the 'open file' services the system provides & whatever services Photos provides to it as well.

At least, that's the way the open dialog of Preview works, & now shows me both the Photos & iPhoto libraries, each with their internal organizational schemes available & expandable under the library name.

What have you done to iPhoto? Why is it no longer possible to edit photos in an outside editor?e editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.