Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder -600 error. Can only open Finder in background (open -g /path/) after force quit

Hey there,

I had multiple instances of finder and it kept relaunching so I force killed it from activity monitor. Now Finder, disk image mounter, and trash are all non functional from the front end and the desktop shortcuts are gone. After that if you tried to open it with the icon on the dock (right click icon > open) or in terminal it gave error code -600, the application "Finder" can't be opened. This is not the same as -10814, which i get only if i try to open it as a bundle (open -b Finder).

I can run Finder in the background using open -g /path/ and the desktop restores and I can get to trash and finder with right clicks from dock icons. =/

And that's all I got. I don't know a whole lot else about the system and I am kind of afraid to restart.

If it matters, I recently had a weird hardware thing where my keyboard, trackpad, and all peripheral usb mice/keyboards would not work and I had to do recovery because recovery mode was the only way I could use my mouse/keyboard.

Thanks for any insight!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:58 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2015 8:29 AM in response to pillow.craft

Do a backup.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

Finder -600 error. Can only open Finder in background (open -g /path/) after force quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.