Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VLOOKUP range problem with Numbers 3.5.3

Hi All,

I have a most peculiar problem, which I have only noticed since upgrading (?) to Numbers v.3.5.3.

I have a formula which is supposed to use VLOOKUP to return a value from a range in another table.

The problem is that I get an error: "VLOOKUP couldn’t find the requested value." and on editing the formula

I find that the second argument, which is supposed to be a collection containing the searched for and returned values,

indicates the following error: The range income::A2:E7 can't be used as a single value.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

I'm running Numbers v3.5.3 on OS X 10.10.3 on an IMac 11,3.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), i7 Quad-Core model 11,3

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:46 PM

8 replies

Apr 24, 2015 9:55 PM in response to AussieBBM

Thanks to all who replied. I have discovered a workaround, which is simply to have the column which contains the searched values as the first column in the range. If it is anywhere else then I get the error described. A little re-ordering of columns and the error goes away and everything works fine.

This is the formula which was giving the problem:

=IF(VLOOKUP(B3,Income::A2:E9,4,TRUE) ="Pension",VLOOKUP(B3,Income::A2:E9,5,TRUE),0) +IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Additional:Table,3,FALSE),0)

B3 contains the period end date and initially I had that in column C of the Income sheet. I moved the date into column A and the VLOOKUP worked! Magic!

I tried to upload a screen shot, but couldn't do it for some reason (It was a .png file of less than 100 KiB).

Apr 26, 2015 4:28 AM in response to AussieBBM

Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. I think Apple's documentation sometimes gets caught between trying to explain a fairly complex syntax and doing it in a concise manner, and sometimes they miss in the direction of being concise. It doesn't help that the syntax for the various lookup functions isn't particularly consistent, but that is probably a legacy from other spreadsheet programs.

You aren't wasting anybody's time; nobody has to be here; if our time is being wasted here, we're doing it ourselves because we enjoy it. And, more importantly, your question and the answer you found may be helpful to someone else who is having a similar problem.

Apr 26, 2015 12:27 PM in response to AussieBBM

Hi Aussie,

AussieBBM wrote:

Is my face red!?!

I misread the examples and the text of the help.

Sorry to waste people's time!

You are not wasting anybody's time. To get help on a function, type = in any table cell to bring up the Function Browser. Type the first few letters of the function in the Search box for an explanation that is much better than the online help:

User uploaded file

Or in the table cell, type =vl

User uploaded file

Then type open bracket (open parenthesis) to confirm and see the syntax for that function:

User uploaded file

Click on a "lozenge" then click on a cell or drag over a range.

Regards,

Ian.

VLOOKUP range problem with Numbers 3.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.