Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Switch to Desktop 1 and Switch to Desktop 2?

I have a feeling this is a very basic and simple question, so I am sorry if it is. If you know what this is, please do tell me!

;-)

I have just noticed that I have 2 desktops!! And I wonder why??

I have an iMac and I am using OS 10.10.3. I generally just do email and internet with some writing, organise my photos and music.

I was looking at the System Preferences, specifically the KEYBOARD Preference.

There are such things as Launchpad & Dock, Display and Mission Control etc. etc.

Under MISSION CONTROL, a lot of shortcuts are listed up.

I noticed there was a shortcut for "Switch to Desktop 1" and "Switch to Desktop 2"

I do not recall making such a shortcut and I do not know if it was always there. If it was always there, what is the purpose of having a shortcut to switch between two desktop screens?? Is it just a way to hide what you are doing by quickly changing to a different screen??

Can I make more Desktops? If I can do that, what would be the purpose? Could I have certain applications open on one desktop, but have other applications open on a different desktop making for an uncluttered working environment?? And then switch between Desktops depending what I am working on??

I looked around in the HELP files, but I have yet to find an explanation. I would really appreciate any help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:33 PM

Please look over Apple's OS X Yosemite: Work in multiple spaces article, this will explain for you.

4 replies

Apr 24, 2015 4:33 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you so much. I just read that article. I did not really understand what Apple meant my SPACES before.... but I sort of see it now. It is a way to organise a busy screen with lots of applications open into something more workable by having multiple desktops. What I have been doing till now is just to minimize all my open applications and then maximize them when I need them.

Can I assume that one SPACE is one DESKTOP??

The article says it is possible to have a maximum of 16 SPACES, so I guess that means 16 DESKTOPS??

I appreciate your help. I am going to try to use those two desktops in my work.....

What is Switch to Desktop 1 and Switch to Desktop 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.