Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not backing up - Backup disc could not be found

Time Machine has not backed up since April 2 because the backup disc could not be found. It was working prior to this. I cannot restore from prior backups - Restore button is greyed out. Time Capsule is not connected in AirPort Utility.

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:26 PM

9 replies

Apr 24, 2015 4:26 PM in response to scout106

Installed Dr. Cleaner 3/29 and Memory Clean 3/29 - both were updates.

That.....is the problem. Time Machine does not like "cleaners", "optimizers", "keepers".....anything like that. Your Mac does not need these types of applications since they generally do more harm than good.

Anti-virus applications will drive Time Machine crazy as well.

My advice would be to remove this type of software from your Mac according to the software manufacturer's instructions.

Then power cycle the entire network.

If the Time Capsule disk comes back into view, you should run a Verify Disk operation as soon as possible. Your backups may now likely be corrupted, and if that is the case, Time Machine will not be able to back up until you erase the Time Capsule disk and try to start over again with a new backup.

Apr 24, 2015 6:35 PM in response to scout106

Thanks. I am in process of following your advise. I believe it was MacAfee that was causing the problem. I uninstalled it as well as the others. A backup seemed to start on its own but I wanted to verify the Time Capsule Disc so went to Disc First Aid and am running a Verify & Repair on the TC Disc. This apparently stopped the in progress TC backup.

The thing I am unclear on is what you mean by a power cycle of the entire network? If this is more than a re-start please advise what and how.

Apr 24, 2015 6:51 PM in response to scout106

A power cycle is a basic troubleshooting step that seems to solve about half of most network issues about half of the time. It gives every device a fresh connection.

Simply power off every device on the network.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start the modem and let it run a few minutes

Start the next device connected to the modem and let it run a minute

Keep starting devices one at at a time about a minute apart until the network is back up

Check the network

Time Machine not backing up - Backup disc could not be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.