Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Apple TV's software questions.

Hello.

I have a few Apple TV newbie questions:

1. How long does it usually take to upgrade its software? Is five/5 minutes considered too long?

2. Is there a way to schedule its automatic background upgrades during the early morning hours like at 3 AM PT instead of after the viewer turns it on and having to wait several minutes to finish?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Apple TV, iOS 8.3, Windows XP SP3, & Verizon Wireless

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:45 PM

10 replies

Apr 25, 2015 9:56 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:

Yes, but it will depend on your internet connection and the robustness of the local network. 5 minutes isn't that long, but some will load faster and others slower depending on the individuals network.

Doesn't Apple TV download the whole upgrade through Internet in the background, and then do the upgrade (blank screen and Apple logo with the slow horizontal status bar with no network download?)?

Apr 25, 2015 10:21 AM in response to antdude

Yes, but the download time (which is part of the upgrade process) will be dependent on the individuals network. If it isn't set to auto update, then it won't occur in the background. If you set it up to do it in the background (leaving the device on) then it will automatically do it when it's available. However, if there is any issue with the network connection during this time (i.e. interference) or any other environmental (i.e. power outage) then the device will go into recovery mode and need to be restored.

Apr 25, 2015 10:44 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:

Yes, but the download time (which is part of the upgrade process) will be dependent on the individuals network. If it isn't set to auto update, then it won't occur in the background. If you set it up to do it in the background (leaving the device on) then it will automatically do it when it's available. However, if there is any issue with the network connection during this time (i.e. interference) or any other environmental (i.e. power outage) then the device will go into recovery mode and need to be restored.

During the blank black screen, Apple logo, and the status bar, is that the download or the actual downloaded upgrade installation? The device is always connected to power 24/7 and Internet. No power disconnections. Power off with the remote control when not used. I assume this is still on when powered off (not unplugged)?

Apr 25, 2015 11:22 AM in response to antdude

There are two instances of that screen, one is for the download and then it will be installing/applying the update. I am not talking about whether the device being powered nor internet connection. If there are any instances of interference on the local network, which can occur when over wifi, or if there is a power outage (or any other environmental issue) then the issue will go into recovery mode and need to be restored.

Apr 25, 2015 11:25 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:

There are two instances of that screen, one is for the download and then it will be installing/applying the update. I am not talking about whether the device being powered nor internet connection. If there are any instances of interference on the local network, which can occur when over wifi, or if there is a power outage (or any other environmental issue) then the issue will go into recovery mode and need to be restored.

Ah, I thought that Apple TV's black wait status bar screen was only for installation and restoration (don't think it was doing a restoration since the old settings were still intact. and we saw "What's New" like HBO offer after it was done). I assume Apple TVs did their downloads in the background while idling (not used by viewer) like computers.

Upgrading Apple TV's software questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.