Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save documents to Macbook or iCloud?

Hi,

I recently typed up a report on pages and closed it assuming that it was saved. When I went to documents to open it back up, I could not find it, eventually I did find it under the iCloud file where it automatically saved after I searched with spotlight.

So what's the difference; it sounds like its safer to save to iCloud so nothing gets lost.... but at the same time I may run out of space, or if I want to work offline etc... which would you save to?

Thanks so much!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:57 AM

The advantage of saving documents in iCloud is that they can easily be synchronized between your Apple devices. The disadvantage is that you're disclosing what you may consider to be personal information to Apple employees and/or contractors. If you have adequate backups, your data should be as safe as it can be whether you upload it to iCloud or not.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 11:57 AM in response to jl1997

The advantage of saving documents in iCloud is that they can easily be synchronized between your Apple devices. The disadvantage is that you're disclosing what you may consider to be personal information to Apple employees and/or contractors. If you have adequate backups, your data should be as safe as it can be whether you upload it to iCloud or not.

Save documents to Macbook or iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.