Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Time Capsule Keeps Dropping Internet

My Apple Time Capsule keeps dropping internet or having extremely slow internet. If I run a speed test I am getting 90+mbs. What occurs is if I try to load a page, there will be a very long delay and sometimes the page will eventually load, other times it won't. When I try to stream something from youtube, If I can get to the page of the video, it won't have an issue. When I hard wire to my modem, I don't have an issue at all. Only hardwired through the router or using wireless through the router does this occur. The light on the router never has turned amber and the link light on my modem is constantly flashing. The only thing that will occur is that the Apple Airport utility keeps connecting and disconnecting from my modem.

I've reset the router and modem. I've restored the router to factory settings and reset up my network, all to no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Apple Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 6:42 PM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2015 7:09 PM in response to SystemEncephale

What model is the TC?

Is it plugged into the main router by ethernet and running in bridge mode?

The AC model in particular has loads of issues with the wan port.. if you have the above setup.. TC bridged.. please plug your modem router into a LAN port of the TC instead of WAN.. it often fixes the issues..

Otherwise please give me more info.. on the actual setup.

Is it a new problem that began without any changes as far as you know.. ?? Or did it occur since this setup was put in place?

Apr 24, 2015 7:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

Model of TC is 802.11ac. It is my router. The modem is strictly a modem. The modem is plugged in to the TC through ethernet. TC is not in bridge mode because it's being used for wireless.

I only have issues when I try and connect to something. Such as, if I log in to Xbox Live on my Xbox, if I manage to log in, I won't be disconnected randomly. But if I try and load netflix or anything that requires pulling from the internet to start the application, or when you first go on a webpage, it will take forever to load or time out.

It is a new problem. No changes occurred on my end.

Thank you very much for the help.

Apr 24, 2015 8:28 PM in response to SystemEncephale

Does your modem happen to be SB6121 or SB6141 .. actually almost any surfboard modem??

I forgot to ask what model is the modem as I assumed it was modem router.

This is a common problem.. it does seem to start up for no reason even if it has been working fine.. there is some interaction between the ethernet ports that causes issues.

About the only fix now seems to be replacement.. Is it within warranty??

I would suggest you take it back.. although I can almost promise you the new one will have the same problem.. it is a hardware bug in the TC.

Other solutions I have suggested which worked for some.. a 10/100 cross over cable.. these are still readily available and cheap.. or a small 10/100 switch between the modem and the router.. however I do note people are report success with these less often now.

Or just replace the TC as the main router.. or replace the modem.. especially if the surfboard models that are most problematic..

One or the other has to go.. you can buy a cheap router for $50 or so.. eg TP-Link WR1043ND v2 and run that as the main router and simply bridge to the TC.. which can still do TM backup and wireless..

Apple may eventually figure out this is a firmware issue and fix it.. but I personally suspect hardware.

Apr 24, 2015 8:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, geez. I thought I was going crazy. It's a SB6141. It made no sense to me at all what was occurring and I'm a technician for Comcast and I was still stumped.

Thanks a bunch. I am just going to replace the modem with a different model all together. Cheaper to go that route instead of dishing out $300 for a Netgear Nighthawk.

Thinking I'll replace the motorola with a Cisco DPC3010

Apr 24, 2015 9:01 PM in response to SystemEncephale

Thinking I'll replace the motorola with a Cisco DPC3010

You may find it is not much better..

I do think the problem is more on the Apple side..

If you are a tech.. let me suggest you make yourself up a 100 mbit (ie use only the two pairs) crossover cable..

If that does not work.. try reverse polarity..ie in the ethernet on one end swap + and - .. It is an issue that has cropped up before where ethernet is just wired wrongly.. and it doesn't fail completely but becomes unreliable.

BTW the hardware reliability of the new AC version apple routers.. is definitely on the bottom of the apple list.

I bought an AC TC and the first one had this WAN port issue from day one.. when I replaced it after a week (it died completely which was convenient).. the second one has been much better).

The modems I have heard that works well is the zoom or ubee..

Using another router doesn't need to be expensive.. you can still stick to the apple in bridge.. you only need a router that does routing..

And the TP-Link can be flashed to gargoyle.. a hugely superior firmware btw.. solid .. reliable and it will track usage and do a lot of stuff well beyond Apple's keen.

Jun 17, 2015 3:36 PM in response to bobbysixty

bobbysixty wrote:

LaPastenague, do you know if this connectivity issue is specific to the TC AC or is it also an issue with the regular airport Ac.

Definitely both.. AC model airports are both identical now.. extreme leaves off the hard disk connector but the boards are otherwise the same with the TC, and of course the hard disk in the TC.. older models had completely different boards.. the extreme missed out on the SATA connection side. The firmware was also very different.

So whatever is the problem.. it is serious. As stated above I do not know what it is.. but I suspect hardware. Otherwise it is too hard to explain why some people experience the problem and others don't.. or it starts after a year.. the testing required is beyond me.. but if people wanted to study the problem a managed switch between the modem and the router.. and using mirrored ports to inspect packets would be a good start.. !! The timing of ethernet is critical as it gets faster speeds.. so something is slightly clocked out?? I have put a bit of effort into understanding it.. but the firmware gives us so little clues.. and my NetBSD is not up to the task. 😁

Jun 18, 2015 8:12 PM in response to bobbysixty

bobbysixty wrote:

i also had a sb 6141 and reading over your recommendations, I purchased a zoom modem as replacement. It seems to be working great now but time will tell. Thank you. Do you know if the netgear I h plays nice with the airports?

Thanks for the feedback. it is helpful and more so longer term.. as with many problems it hits some and not all.. so keeping track of it helps.

I have seen issues listed here with netgear cable modems.. Our Cable ISPs in Australia use mostly netgear and people are reporting issues .. how widespread I don't know .. and it is hard with various revisions constantly changing the hardware.

Apple Time Capsule Keeps Dropping Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.