Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dialog box for accepting software updates unreadable

When the App Store opens to tell me that software updates are available, and I click "Install," a dialog box appears that I assume is asking for my AppleID and password. But the box is unreadable; it is just rows of As inside boxes. I have checked the FontBook and deleted duplicate fonts, and rebooted in Safe Mode to clean up the font caches. The only potential font conflict I can think of is that I did install the Lucida Grande automator which changes the system font from Helvetica Neue back to Lucida Grande.This does not happen with requests for my Admin password. Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:22 PM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2015 9:51 AM in response to DRP58

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

Apr 25, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc. I had seen these instructions in another thread.

Yes, I have validated the fonts, removed the duplicated fonts (except vide infra), of which there were about 45, and started up in safe mode. The only font with a potential problem is the Lucida Grande that was installed with <https://github.com/schreiberstein/lucidagrandeyosemite>. But the Font Book says that it is turned off. I presume it is using the native font.

I won't know if the problem has been solved until the next time the App Store signals a software upgrade. If I still see the problem, I will try the Restore Standard Fonts suggestion.

It isn't clear to me why this only happens with Software Updates, and not other App Store purchases, or with iTunes.

Dialog box for accepting software updates unreadable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.