Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovered deleted file identificaton

In 2008 I kept a journal on an old I-Mac in Word for Mac. Without realizing it the file was either deleted or saved over on or around Feb 25, 2009. I just took the computer into a data recovery service who put all the recovered files on a disk.

I am looking for a deleted Mac MS Word Document, containing around 60-120 pages.

The disk has probably over 5000+ files on it and I have no idea what I am looking for, as the file has most likely be renamed or is in segments. The disk has been divided into 3 folders titled:

1. Items of interest

2. Orphans Folder

3. Reconstructed files

1) Items of interest contains 2 files with the correct name, but both files are blank documents.

2) Orphans Folder contains 108 Folders.

These folders contain

• Cache files (thousands of various sizes from very small to very large)
  • sqlite files (hundreds of these)
  • Iproj files
  • ATS files
  • plist files
  • rsrc files
  • java files
  • attr files
  • bookmark files
  • swf files
  • jpg files
  • gif files

3) Reconstructed Files

There are 17 reconstructed MS Word files listed but are the document I am looking for.

Can anyone help me narrow down my search? If I found the file would it be readable or would I need some kind of application to decode it?

I also considered doing a search of relevant words but cannot get the finder to search through the CD. How can I do that? The finder will only let me search through files on the mac, even though the disk appears under devices in the finder.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:29 PM

There are no replies.

Recovered deleted file identificaton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.