Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revert back to Aperture from Photos?

I opened up my Aperture library in Photos since I was under the impression that it was replacing iPhoto and Aperture, but was disappointed to find a large number of Aperture editing features missing. I suppose this means I need to find a replacement like Adobe Lightroom, but I was hoping to go back to Aperture while I researched alternatives. When I opened Aperture back up my library was empty. I know it's on my computer somewhere, so I'm not panicking, but what are the steps to get your old Aperture library out of Photos and back into Aperture? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:49 PM

23 replies

Apr 26, 2015 2:38 AM in response to DrBenru

I upgraded to Yosemite and I was shocked that the OS don't let me use Aperture anymore. The app is still installed on my computer but the OS refuses to start it. Now I have to use the useless Photos app. This is not an upgrade but a downgrade, because Photos misses essential features, for instance comparing two pictures next to each other, good advanced searching by keywords (i.e. with more than one search field), easy editing of keywords, applying keywords to a collection of pictures instead of one, like Aperture does, etc etc. Apple forces users to downgrade to Mavericks or to buy Adobe Lightroom. It is a SHAME.

I want one of these things:

- A better Photos with (at least) the functionality of Aperture. Otherwise it is not an upgrade!

- Use Aperture again under Yosemite. Does anyone know a trick to do this?

Apple PLEASE!

Apr 27, 2015 5:53 AM in response to DrBenru

I'm having the same issue with aperture not recognizing my iphone or my SD card out of my nikon. i gave photos a try and it

was very slow and hard to manage my libraries. so i re-opened aperture and chose the old aperture library and it isfunctioning

normally, but whenever i attach an SD card or my iphone, aperture doesn't want to recognize it like it used to...makes it

painful for importing photos off of my devices. (after i went back to aperture, i deleted the photos library hoping that would

make a different, but it did not.)

any thoughts?

pete

May 26, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Pete Malkemes

I hate, I mean I HATE the new Photos app. Same problem here. I WANT TO KEEP USING APERATURE TO IMPORT MY PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photos is really lame. Very frustrated. Time to reorganize my raw photos on my external hard drive and buy another product. This stinks, I just bought Aperture a year ago.

May 28, 2015 9:34 PM in response to William Lloyd

I Believe you moderators removed the wrong post. You left my rant and deleted my response with details. Here it is again with the hope some one will have an answer instead of tellin me it is user error:

I know how to use Aperture. When Photos imported my Aperture library into the Photos library, my Aperture library contents were deleted by the the photos import and the library is now empty and void of my raw photos. There was nothing in it. Empty, GONE! So I had to open the newly created photos library with Aperture, and it was all there, but when I connect a camera device Aperture will no longer recognize my devices (Nikon SLR, iPhone, SD CARDS) for importing; even if I select for Aperture to open automatically when a camera device is connected in the preferences pane. Photos opens up and there doesn't seem to be a way to correct it. I even unchecked the Phitis preference pane for Photos NOT to automatically open! I appear to be FAR FROM THEONLY PERSON WITH THIS PROBLEM! My rant may not help, but it sure makes me feel better. User error? Not. Any suggestions??

May 29, 2015 1:22 AM in response to AxEffects

I upgraded from Aperture to Adobe Lightroom and I'm not regretting that. In fact, I'm glad Apple stopped the further development of Aperture. That was a good decision. Although I loved Aperture, now I'm using Lightroom I understand. It forced me to upgrade and although I complained, now I am happy they did. Aperture was too good for the amateur, not good enough for the professional. For the average user Photos is good enough, the professional photographer should us Lightroom. There is no alternative for Adobe, in this respect, now Aperture is gone. So If you think Photos is not good enough and are frustrated about Aperture not working anymore under Yosemite or whatever, upgrade to Adobe Lightroom.

How do I revert back to Aperture from Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.