Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting and recovery from backup.

I messed up my computer by installing Yosemite when it was not compatible with the MacBook I have. It ran fine but could not install everything else. Now I am trying to recover from my backup, but cannot as it tells me there isn't enough disk space. I now want format the drive and recover from the backup. I have tried everything, like reinstalling Maverick and trying to recover my backup, but failed as the backup is dimmed and inaccessible. This is the only way that I can see and recover from my backup, but the machine won't allow me to format the hard drive. how do I solve this problem. I only have 250 gig hard drive.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:19 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2015 9:24 AM in response to greg sahli

I am using Time Machine to backup 3 Laptops. 2 MacBook Pro's and 1 MacBook. The Time Machine works fine. Since my last communique, I have tried to purchased and formatted a Seagate 1TB external hard drive to try and recover to but failed I received an error GPT of which I have absolutely no clue about. But I understand it has something to do with partitioning schemes. Maybe you can assist?

Formatting and recovery from backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.