Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get iPhoto 9.6.1?

I have used iPhoto occasionally since 2001 but for some reason didn't update to the final version.

Now OS X 10.2.3 has killed off my iPhoto 9.6.

When I try to open it, I am told to go to the App Store for the latest version, but then it tells me that none is available in the UK.

So is it possible to get a copy?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac mini i5 2.5GHz & iMac FCP X

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:01 AM

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 25, 2015 12:28 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian, if you have iPhoto 9.6, your iPhoto version is associated with your AppleID, and you should be able to reinstall from the AppStore.

The update will no longer show on the Updates page, and it is not available from the main "Featured" page, but for many OPs it worked to reinstall from the "Purchases" page.

• Unhide iPhoto, if it is hidden on your Purchases page (Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases)
  • Trash iPhoto 9.6, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Reload your Purchases page at the App Store with ⌘R
  • Then download from that page.

If that does not work, use the work-around to launch iPhoto 9.6 manually, by opening the package and running the application inside:

Dag this file to your Dock, it will run on MacOS X 10.10.3

/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Apr 27, 2015 8:01 AM in response to léonie

I'm having no luck at all.

I have put iPhoto in the trash, closed and reopened the App Store but I still only get the "Update" button on the Purchases page.

I even booted into OS X 10.10.1 from a USB 3.0 drive but got the same "Update" button which did not work.

The strange thing is that the dates on the Purchases page don't make sense.

I bought a new (discontinued) 2012 Mac mini last September and updated iPhoto etc. but iPhoto is listed as January 2014 . . . possibly in connection with my 2008 iMac which I still use.

I tried opening the contents as you suggested but could find no sign of the app.

As I have Aperture and Photoshop I can manage without iPhoto but I just don't like Apple preventing me from updating an app I have purchased . . . it amounts to theft.

Apr 27, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Eau Rouge

No displeasure with the people attempting to help me I can assure you . . . . you must be reading something that isn't there.

Anyway folks, I have discovered another thread which gave a solution for downloading iPhoto 9.5.1 that worked for me.

Basically you create another User account with full admin privileges, restart the computer, log in to the App Store, go to Purchases and click the iPhoto button which now says "Install" and not "Upload".

where can i download iphoto 9.6.1?

Hope this is of some help to anyone else doing a similar search.

Where can I get iPhoto 9.6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.