Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just migrated my iPhoto library to the new Photos software and can no longer drag and drop a newly added photo, for example, to an existing Event - how is this now done??

I just migrated my iPhoto library to the new Photos software and can no longer drag and drop a newly added photo, for example, to an existing Event - how is this now done??

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:49 AM

There are no Events in Photos. Your Photo Events are converted to Albums in the new app. You can drag and drop to those or use the + button on the toolbar.

Moments/Collection etc are strictly arranged by date and time.

5 replies

Apr 25, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,
Thank you very much for assisting. I'm not very tech-minded although I spend 10-15 hours a week "curating" what used

to be my iPhoto library (we're interior designers).

For example, I have an album entitled "Walls" with several hundred photos of interesting walls in it. When I upload a new photo

and label it "Walls" it places it alphabetically next to the large "Walls" file (now numbering the new photo "Walls 1) to not use the same title

which used to not be a problem).

Previously I could just drag the new photo on top of the large "Walls" file and it would swallow it up incorporating it. Now when I try this it tries to slide to

either side of the "Walls" master file and does not let me add it to the master file.

This was my question - how do I add new photos to all my titled albums / former folders??

Can you assist?

Apr 25, 2015 4:46 AM in response to Dreamtime Australia

Click on the new photo, then click on the + (plus) symbol in the upper right corner of the screen. A box will open that says "Add Photo to Album". You can either create a new album, or click on the DOWN ARROW and navigate to the album you want to add the photo to. You can then remove the photo from it's original album. You can do this with multiple photos by selecting them.

Apr 27, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Dreamtime Australia

Moments in Photo are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.