Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

20000 pics lost because Aperture dropped. What now?

Many people have posted about Aperture being dropped and the alternatives, which of course is a question of what to do in the future, but what about all those hours of work put into the past.

I have a very large library of RAW pictures, all of which were edited in Aperture, and now, after reluctantly upgrading to Yosemite I cannot even open the application. Thank god a took a clone of my system before I upgraded.

Dropping support is one thing, making it completely inoperable is another. Unless there has been some fundamental change to Unix (which there hasn't) or the compilers (which there hasn't) this is a crock. Apple have purposely inserted code to actively prevent me from executing the program in Yosemite.

I rarely use expletives, but **** this, what am I going to tell my customers, "I can't even retrieve the edits on the files, so I'll have to bill you a second time if you want that picture again in a different format. And by the way, it may not look exactly like the one you had before, but I'll do my best."?

I'm returning to my system back-up and never upgrading again.Yes and by the way, after many such troubles with Apple recently, I've lost the faith. Been using them since 1987. Now I'm Google's friend.

Mid 2007 24" iMac7,1 2,4Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:28 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2015 4:02 AM in response to chris D'Costa

Had the same issues, Photo booted my files, disorganized all my albums, I have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.

My suggestion is Adobe Lightroom. Its ok. I use Adobe Photoshop CS6 a little more advanced.

But, your files should be still accessible through Finder.

Applications > Aperture > Library > files

And one by one you might be able to retrieve them.

If you can recover, then store them into a new desktop folder, and subfolder each album....

Whenever anyone figures out that no one likes the latest upgrade, then you'll know where your files are and you can easily adjust them to your new version of Photo when they work out the bugs.

But for now, you can still retrieve your files, and you can attach them for work. Unless you haven't finished your edits with Aperture, and you're in that temporary stage before finalizing, then you might have to accept the new work load.

20000 pics lost because Aperture dropped. What now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.