Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to reinstall from an older, not the last backup - any chance?

Topic says it all:

erased a few photos on iPhone in December , backup frequently, now want this photos back ..

Any chance, perhaps utilizing Time Machine, or are those older backups gone forever..? (this would mean trouble with my son - LOL)

No, pics were not transfered to iPhoto, exist only on the iPhone ...

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Pana707/Sony NEX 5/Pana FZ1000

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:37 AM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten,

There are some references to this on the Apple forum (I did some googling). iPhone backups that have been done when syncing to iTunes are located here: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Unfortunately the individual items (such as photos) are in a strange file format. An app mentioned in the forum that may help is iPhone Backup Extractor, found here: http://www.iphonebackup-extractor.com/ - it is free apparently, and people have had success with it.

The forum post I got this information from is this one (although it is a year or so old): Where are iPhone backups stored?

Hope this helps Karsten! Good to see you still helping others! I haven't done much in recent times as I'm now working in Final Cut Pro X and trying to catch up on my backlog of projects. Just bought Motion the other day, but will leave learning that for another time! Cheers from Downunder!

John

Apr 28, 2015 5:50 AM in response to John Cogdell

John Cogdell wrote:

http://www.iphonebackup-extractor.com/ - it is free apparently,

No. Always read things word-for-word (particularly Apple documentation 😉 ). The download is free, not the utility use. There is no mention of a price on the extractor's web site, or even that you have to buy it (which I find dodgy), but a general web search uncovers it has a limited trial and then costs $29.95.

Apr 28, 2015 7:48 AM in response to John Cogdell

There is good, free software out there but a full .com web site dedicated to one piece of software with a "free download"... well, the money for the domain name registration has to come from somewhere. A lot of $29.95 (there must be some marketing research indicating that is a breakpoint price for many people) software packages try to lure you in with the word "free" (but glossing over that which is free is usually something that is free anyway) but often in the end it's tanstaafl.

Need to reinstall from an older, not the last backup - any chance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.