Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I able to trace my iPhone 6 if someone replaced the SIM card?

My iPhone 6 has been stolen and has been offline since the day it was taken. I haven't blacklisted my phone yet because I am aware of the activation lock feature that prevents the user from restoring the phone unless they have my iCloud information. So I have a little bit of hope in humanity that someone will eventually give up and turn it in since it's useless to them.

It's been about 2 weeks and it's still offline. At this point, I suspect that my SIM card may have been removed? If my SIM card is replaced with their own, will "Find my iPhone" still work and send me an email notification if it goes online? Because it's still under my iCloud account right?

But then they would need to connect to the internet in order to receive an alert. Right? They can't connect to wifi because I set a passcode. Would my alert even pop up if their SIM card is in? Lost mode is still pending...

To be honest, I don't know too much about SIM cards, all I know is that the user can only receive calls and call 911 with their SIM card in. I think...

So currently I have "Find my iPhone" on. I checked my "Activation Lock" and it's on. I also have my passcode on. So it's safe to say the phone is rendered useless.

So what I'm trying to say is.. If my SIM card is removed is my phone lost forever?!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:43 AM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2015 12:40 PM in response to marlenavongphakdy

marlenavongphakdy wrote:

My iPhone 6 has been stolen and has been offline since the day it was taken. I haven't blacklisted my phone yet because I am aware of the activation lock feature that prevents the user from restoring the phone unless they have my iCloud information. So I have a little bit of hope in humanity that someone will eventually give up and turn it in since it's useless to them.

It's been about 2 weeks and it's still offline. At this point, I suspect that my SIM card may have been removed? If my SIM card is replaced with their own, will "Find my iPhone" still work and send me an email notification if it goes online? Because it's still under my iCloud account right?

It should wok as long as the new sim has a data plan it can use to access the internet If the sim card is activated and has service. The iPhone will use it and attempt to connect to the internet with it.

Since its still locked to your apple Id it should connect with the iCloud service and notify you it has been found.

While the thief will not be able to do much with the phone with their sim card in and it being locked. The phone can use the sim card to access the internet if it has a data plan.

marlenavongphakdy wrote:

So what I'm trying to say is.. If my SIM card is removed is my phone lost forever?!

Nope. unless the phone has been restored, if a sim card with a data plan is inserted, it should be able to use it to connect to the internet.

If it has been restored, then it will simply sit at the activation lock screen. At this point i'm not sure if it can use the data plan from the new sim card to access the internet.

In summary, it should be able to use the internet from the new sim card directly as long as its not restored.

Am I able to trace my iPhone 6 if someone replaced the SIM card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.