Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading from Lion to Yosemite my connection to my external SAS-Device is gone!

Hello all together,

I have the following problem and need some help!

I have a MacPro with a LSI 3ware 9750-8e card installed and use it with an external SAS-Drve as a "File-Server"!

As OS, I used Lion, everything worked fine!

Now I wanted to upgrade my OS infrastructure to Yosemite, for this I already used my MacMini as a Yosemite Server, this works already fine!

So I thought, that I can upgrade my Mac Pro also with Yosemite and done it!

Now i face the major problem, that Yosemite not recognize anymore my LSI 3ware 9750-8e card, and also I cannot access anymore my external SAS-Storage with all my data!

After asking the manufacture of the LSI-card, they told me, that there driver only work till 10.7 (Lion)!!

So what should I do now, I spend a bunch of money for a SAS-Card and -Drive, and now I cannot use it anymore, be because the driver from 10.7 will not work anymore with 10.10?

Does anyone have the same problem,and found a solution? Because normally I would use all my Laptops and Computers with Yosemite!

For any kind of help I am very, very thankful!

Lars 🙂

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Server

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:41 AM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 6:26 AM in response to The Nighthawk

Your mac still does what it was and hopefully you did a clean install of Yosemite or cloned Lion first.

3rd party SAS/SCSI and other hardware there is also some need to verify OS support, drivers, buying a new controller even, and of course to have a couple backups of the data and cloning the system.

Past Lion has meant 64-bit kernel mode and drivers for one thing. Lion dropped PowerPC/Rosetta. And Yosemite is a rather major change in storage.

Apple's decision to only offer support to Mavericks and Yosemite drove you to upgrade? why not stay with Lion?

I could even see using Windows server in some cases.

Apr 25, 2015 6:43 AM in response to The hatter

Hey the hatter,

yes, I was smart enough, to install Yosemite on a fresh HD, and kept the other one aside! 🙂

IT seem like, you are right, better stay with my MP on Lion, it was only a File Storage System!

But a little bit frustrating it is, when the SAS/SCSI builder not more like to build drivers for future OS X!

Especially this normally famous brand, and this high price! Even others, I never heard before create driver from 10.4 till now!

But thanks anyhow! 🙂

The hope dies at last 😀

Apr 25, 2015 7:20 AM in response to The Nighthawk

I sunk a LOT of money into ATTO and Seagate Cheetahs along with Maxtor Atlas brand and even tiny OS updates (9.2.1) could throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

A place that has always kept me up to date on hardware storage support MacGurus

http://www.macgurus.com

Though I have not kept up with SAS/FC storage. Between ultra-fast PCIe Express SSDs and 4TB drives.

there is always solid support from SoftRAID

http://www.softraid.com

Which saw me through days when drivers, firmware for controllers and OS support got into the old finger-point game.

After upgrading from Lion to Yosemite my connection to my external SAS-Device is gone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.