Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and paste audio keyframes

I can't seem to get how to paste Audio keyframes.

I have some surround panning going on, which works, or seems to at least for the moment.

I can select a keyframe and and in Edit/Keyframes, I can Copy or Cut the Keyframe,..if I choose Cut, it disappears from the green Expanded Audio Animation timeline.

But I can't paste it. Directly after a Copy or a Cut, the Paste option is greyed out.

Sometimes also, even though the keyframe is selected in Yellow, the Keyframe Copy menu is also greyed out.. I don't get it, and I have been unable to find anything in the help about this, or on other threads.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:31 AM

15 replies

Apr 25, 2015 10:59 AM in response to wrrn

Hi Thanks for trying to help out, but that is pretty much what I have been doing, but it does not seemn to work, so I wondererd what else i was missing..

See the screen grab below , where three Keyframes are selected in the timeline, and the greyed out menu item. You can't copy them in this case...though some times, the menu times are available, and YOU CAN copy them, but then the ability to paste is greyed out , (or inoperable if you use the shortcut keys)

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The problem is , that I highlighted the keyframes, and tried to copy them. The bit that does not look right is the fact that in the menu drop down, the bit for Copy , Cut , Paste and delete is Greyed out.

The article linked to above and as I have down before, You can usually copy a key frame by selecting it and then Alt **** C.

In this case it is not possible to use the key combo to copy, or the menu, as it is greyed out.

Not sure what you mean by:

What have you done to make the timeline arrested be at that state?

I used the built in OS X Cmd Shift 4 for the screen grab. That does what you may be referring to...'arrests" or freezes the screen with what ever menu you have open at the time and allows you to sue the cursor to take the screen grab.

Apr 25, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Neil Paisnel

Don't know where the arresting came from, what I typed to bring that up from the predictive typing. What I meant was how did you get the timeline into that state?

This part

User uploaded file

Blue is expanded audio, but the keyframes aren't on that. Green is connected audio, but the clip is very thin and shouldn't look as if it's touching the expanded, and the clip heights should be the same. It just looks very strange. Maybe a shot that showed more of the timeline might explain what's happening?

Apr 25, 2015 10:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

PHone typing here too now, yes **** that predictive texting.

SO, the timeline.

Audio is 'Dual Mono' with A2 deleted.

Expamd to show Audio Animations

CMD click on the Bubble next to the timeline zoom slider, select the All Audio view, so no frames displayed,

THere is no connected audio.

The lower green bar is Audio Animation bar . It does not have disclosure triangle like, for instance, the Video Comppsting Animation, it is more like the Crop,Trim, Distort Video Animation bars.

sorry, my bad screen grab, i tried to just capture the selected keyframes and the menu.

the green line is ' Pan : All'. For the Audio surroind

in my searching , I came across the fact that you can't Keyframe Colour . Maybe this is a similar Apple inconsistancy that keyframimg does not work the same for all audio properties . 'Maybe it is just not poddible to copy them.

there is a sequence in the stage show that is repeated throughout the performance, of off stage voice, rear sounds then off stage other side.

Apr 25, 2015 11:57 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ahh, OK thanks.

It seems to inconsistent,

But any way, at leaf I now know it is not me.

But I wont be doing it any more.. given up. The values won't ' stick' in the pan settings.

If you close the app down after an Export as master and open up then inspect the item . All the keyframes have changed to Right and right rear.

This is immediately after playing it back and hearing that it is good and correct. in the Timeline

The Share as Master file operation seems to change all the values of the pan key frames. . It should not and probably is not actually the export function...but that is when the change appears. The pan works Before Export as master...but after export the master does not have the correct panning and the timeline has changed to all right hand dominant.

Any idea what causes this?

I have done it three times now. Not going to try again. just have to admit defeat

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 12:16 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

Edit ..

Just done this, seems easy enough. if I can get it to stick.

I see pan properties are specific to each track....Brillinat

Would like to find how to split different audio tracks and send them just to certain surround channels though

Wanted to try and get some background sound track playing just out of the rear surround speakers and the dialogue out of the front and centre..

But if an export is going to re set my adjustments each time. maybe not worth the effort.

Apr 26, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

It is all very weird. Something is broken ...time for a feedback report I think

Take for instance the Pan :Atenuate /Collapse section.

You can adjust it quite happily for the the whole clip.

Yet if you add keyframes using the "R " range selection tool, it creates its 4 keyframes, the cursor turns in two the two headed arrow to show up and down adjustment with the value number, yet it wont drag and change

You can range select a group of Keyframes and drag them along the timeline. but you can't adjust them up and down.

But if you use the slider in the Audio inspector window,you can change the values, but they wont drag in the window.

This is version 10.1.4. I Don't have Yosemite so can't upgrade to it, I am on 10.9.5

These two keyframes wont drag up in the window.

User uploaded file

Yet you can adjust int eh Inspector

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 1:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, you do get the double headed arrow....but it wont drag

As soon as you put any keyframes on the line, you can no longer drag either the keyframes or the level up or down.

It WILL drag keyframes left/ right when the left/ right arrow appears, or even when the 4 headed arrow appears, but it wont drag up and down .

The only way for a level change once keyframes are selected is to use the inspector and the next key frame button and the slider bar.

I know about dragging the key frames in those 'level " sections, i have been doing that all month to help even out the dialogue between stage players. Only one central mic on stage so the levels are every where.

It is just that it does not work in this case.. The 'drag arrow cursor' appears but it does not drag.

Copy and paste audio keyframes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.