Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple Watch work with Health app exactly?

In the Health app, I can see it has both my iPhone 6 Plus and my Apple Watch as the source devices. But I don't think the app is picking up activities from the Apple Watch. I knew this because today when I was playing tennis with my Apple Watch, the activity chart dropped substantially, because my iPhone was somewhere else not moving. So can anyone share how the Watch is supposed to work with the Health app? Many thanks in advance.

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:07 AM

22 replies

Apr 25, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Gary Fong

I just tested this because I couldn't get my head around it.

The Activity app should monitor steps, calories, time standing, whether it's connected to a phone or not. When it has a phone in range, the data is mirrored in the Activity app on the phone

The Heart app on the watch syncs to the Health app on the phone

The Workouts app on the Watch syncs saved workouts to the Activity app on the phone and various data points (steps, distance, calories) to the Health app on the phone. This worked for me as advertised

So your experience means something's not working as it should. It may be (I'm speculating here, so don't be astonished if I'm wrong) that the issue is around GPS (yes, I know that's not relevant to tennis 🙂 ). The watch uses the phone's GPS to measure distance *and* to calibrate your stride. So maybe there's an assumption built into the software that at least the first few significant activities will be with the phone in range.

Another possibility, based on a conversation I had with an Apple guy (not an expert) is that these early versions of the apps are built for "steady state" activities, like running, walking, cycling and don't yet handle explosive burst activities, like racket sports.

Not the most satisfactory answer in the world, but I hope it helps

Apr 25, 2015 10:23 PM in response to nick101

Thanks for the reply. Now a couple of questions.

1. What do you mean by the "Heart" app on the Watch? You mean the "Health" app? Or the "Heart Rate" app?

2. I still don't quite get it. The Activity app on the Watch syncs with the Activity app on the iPhone. And then if the Health app on the iPhone is picking up data from the Activity app on the iPhone, then the Activity app on the iPhone should have data from the Watch. Am I right? After the tennis game yesterday, both Activity apps on the Watch and the iPhone showed active movements, but the Health app on the iPhone did not. That's my frustrtion.

Further advice woill be appreciated.

Apr 25, 2015 11:07 PM in response to Gary Fong

1. Sorry - I mean the Heart Rate app.

2. Thinking about this, it seems that the Health app on the phone records movements registered by the phone. Since the phone was stationary when you were playing tennis, it didn't record anything.

If I'm right, we have a slightly confusing model in which the Health app on the phone gets heart rate data from the watch, but keep its own record of movement, whereas the Activity app on the phone gets full data from the Workouts app on the Watch. I guess that the test (which I'll try later on) would be for me to go off on a run or whatever without the phone and see what gets recorded where after the watch and phone have synced.

Apr 26, 2015 1:23 AM in response to nick101

Yes, my Watch can record my activity when my iPhone isn't with me, and then gets sync back to the Activity app of the iPhone. No issue In this regard. But the problem is the Health app of the iPhone then doesn't pick up data from the Activity app of the iPhone. Hats the issue. Please share your test result afterwards. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015 3:37 AM in response to Gary Fong

Here you go:

I did a run with the phone, then dropped the phone off at home and did a walk with the watch alone, recording both with the Workouts app

The Activity app on the phone has a copy of all the data record by the Workouts app on the watch.

The Health app also has all the data from both workouts. It's in the Workouts section (Health Data, Fitness, Workouts), which I have on my Dashboard. When I tap a Show all data, and then the Walking workout (no phone) it gives me Workout Type, Duration, Calories Burbed, Distance, Date, Source, Date Added to Health. Workouts from the watch have a watch logo next to them. I also use Runkeeper (I used it on the run too) and its data is also recored as a separate Workout

Heart rate is shown in the Heart Rate section of Health (Health Data, Vitals and on my Dashboard), but only as individual readings. Average heart rate is in the Activity app.

Does that help?

Apr 26, 2015 4:11 AM in response to nick101

I volunteer with the ambulance service, yesterday I was teaching CPR to the public and the watch classed this as exercise. I don't consider cpr as exercise however do you act knowledge it is an exhausting activitie. Doing CPR you do get movement from the waist upwards .

Also note I did not have my phone in my pocket at the time. It was in my jacket over the other side of the room.

Apr 26, 2015 4:31 AM in response to nick101

Thanks. That's certainly helpful. In fact, just now I clicked into one of the activities in the iPhone Health app, e.g. Steps, and then clicked into Show All Data, it indeed showed what source devices provided data when. As such, the iPhone Health app does pick up data from the Watch. i guess all my confusion was due to my laziness in really looking into the app. Yet again, many thanks for all the advices. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2015 6:21 AM in response to David Krug

You can use Runkeeper and Workout together. Results from both will show up in the Health app on the phone, under Fitness/Workouts.

Neither will pick up each other's results - so Workouts on the watch won't show RK results, and RK on the phone (or watch) won't show Workouts results.

But they don't interfere with each other and both sets of results turn up in the Health app on the phone

How does Apple Watch work with Health app exactly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.