Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert iMessage to texts?

hi,

Is there any way to convert iMessages into texts if the recipient doesn't have wifi or data on? For example, I turn off my wifi and data connection overnight to save my (rubbish) iPhone 6 battery, which means I don't get any messages from iPhone users until the morning, but I get texts from non-iPhone users at this time. Is there a way to change iMessages into texts if they can't be delivered? I've not been able to respond to several urgent messages from iPhone users over the last couple of nights because I don't see them until I connect in the morning.

thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:34 AM

16 replies

Apr 25, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Sara1988

Many internet articles say people are kidnapped by aliens.

Read Apple's recommendations on battery usage:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

No where do they indication that charging overnight is bad. The charging circuitry in the iPhone will stop it from accepting more charge when it reaches 100%. You may also want to review the article to see if it can help you with the actual causes of your battery issues.

Best of luck.

Apr 25, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Sara1988

It is not possible to overcharge an iOS device. The charger is not the thing in the wall outlet, and not the cable. It is in the phone. It "knows" to stop charging once the battery reaches full charge. It's easy to prove this with a US power meter (http://www.amazon.com/Centech-USB-Power-Meter/dp/B00DAR4ITE/); if you use one to measure the charging current you will see that it goes to ZERO when the device reaches full charge. I have such a meter and I've done this test (and many others).

I've had 5 iPhones and 2 iPads in almost 8 years. My oldest current phone is a 3GS, and it is still going strong. As is my 4S. I have always left them plugged in every night, overnight, so they are fresh at 100% the next morning. It has never harmed any of them.

Maybe it's a problem with phones or computers from other manufacturers, but all Apple battery powered devices have the same charging technology that prevents them from ever being overcharged. At the moment I'm writing this on a Macbook Pro that has been plugged in continuously for 3 months.

Apr 25, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Sara1988

There are 3 different types of messages: SMS (text), MMS (multimedia) and iMessage. Of these ONLY SMS does not require an Internet connection, as it travels on a voice service subchannel. If you want to get messages without Internet access you must limit yourself to SMS, meaning turn off iMessage. Further, you cannot get MMS (picture) messages if cellular data is turned off, as cellular carriers don't know anything about your WiFi connections. iMessages can use either WiFi or cellular data.

So the answer is you must leave Cellular Data on if you want to receive picture messages from other than iPhones. You must leave either Cellular Data or WiFi on (meaning leave the phone plugged in to power) to receive iMessages. This is not an iPhone limitation; it is the way the wireless world works.

As a separate issue, you need to find out why your battery life is short. In normal use an iPhone should last a minimum of a day between charges; mine lasts 2 days if I let it (I don't; I charge it overnight). But it's important to charge it to 100% every day, and ideally, overnight.

Apr 25, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence. I like iMessage on the whole but it just seems stupid to me that if I don't have any internet connection (either because I've turned it off or I'm in an area with no service) that it won't let me send or receive texts to/from iPhone users without deactivating the iMessage feature altogether. It would seem sensible if there was a way for the phone to recognise it can't deliver the message via iMessage and try to send it as an SMS.

Another of the reasons that I turn off my internet connection overnight is that I get a lot of notifications (Facebook, Whatsapp etc.) that I can safely ignore until the morning, but if an iPhone user tries to message me with something urgent I'm clueless, whereas with any other phone I'd get an SMS straight away. Please don't suggest that I turn off those notifications because they're useful during the day.

Apr 25, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Sara1988

Sara1988 wrote:

Another of the reasons that I turn off my internet connection overnight is that I get a lot of notifications (Facebook, Whatsapp etc.) that I can safely ignore until the morning, but if an iPhone user tries to message me with something urgent I'm clueless, whereas with any other phone I'd get an SMS straight away. Please don't suggest that I turn off those notifications because they're useful during the day.

You don't have to turn off the notifications, just use Do Not Disturb. Settings>Do Not Disturb. This will allow you to leave your data connection on but not be disturbed by notifications.

Convert iMessage to texts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.