Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - W7 issues once installed

Hi Folks,

so I will try to put this simply .... Here we go.

I Bootcamp a iMac, one the Newer ones ( no DVD/CD Drive, slim lined ) install W7 all works well even to the point where W7 first opens once installed, you know when all the icon's are massive.

I even get everything working Keyboard & mouse wise ( wired or Bluetooth ), both work, then it goes Tits up ......

I install the BC drivers, even do some W7 updates, then machine re-starts, as it does, thats when it all goes wrong ..... fails.

The nice new W7 opens, looks great nice and crisp, except on thing ..... the bloody Keyboard and Mouse now won't work, Zero movement, not a sausage .

The worse bit is that if I use the wireless mouse W7 see's it and ask me to 'click here' ... I can't.

I have re-installed several time doing different ways just to try and get it to work - USB drive, DVD drive with disc. Still the same result ..... Zero

So my question folks, can anyone please help ๐Ÿ˜•

I've installed BC on 2 other Mac's ,One newer type and one with the DVD drive and both work, but not this one ................ And even tried with 10.9 & 10.10 still the same result.

Steve

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:23 AM

11 replies

Apr 25, 2015 4:48 AM in response to golf king

1. Do not run Windows Updates. It will create problems for your Apple peripherals. If you do want updates, remove any driver updates from this list and manually select others.

2. If the KVM work prior to updates, get Windows set up, before you update.

3. From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp - Apple Support download drivers appropriate for you iMac, Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers, if possible. Please test with wired mouse/keyboard, before you try the BT devices.

Apr 25, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

thanks for the quick reply. The strange thing is I've 'just' this minute installed BC & W7 on my Home iMac 27' ( New slim type ) without a problem.

Just did it ........ works.

Regarding your comment about not doing any Windows updates first, I've tried that too ( on the work Mac ) still the same. I also do a 'clean' download of the BC Drivers for each Mac I use, so they ( the drivers ) should be up to-date , i hope ?

One quick question, on this certain mac only 2 of the 4 USB's work ( don't know why the other 2 don't ? ) Could this by chance cause a problem ?

Anyway thanks again

Steve

Apr 25, 2015 6:25 AM in response to golf king

Are you modifying Bootcamp info.plist to get a USB installer on either Mac? The BC drivers are usually silently installed. If the install fails, the best option is to Repair them using setup.exe in Bootcamp folder.

Are device not recognized in the other two USB ports? Is this the case on both OS X and Windows? In Windows, do you have any unknown devices? If you plug in a USB in the ports that do not work, do you see any unknown devices in Device Manager.

Apr 25, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Loner T

Hi,

I haven't done anything with the BC Installer & Drives.

The USB ports ( 2 ) haven't been work for a while ? So I only have 2 that work, the 2 on the right if you look over the Top of the mac.

So I was just wondering if this may be the reason why 'once' everything is installed in BC , things go wrong. I can't really see why it should but you never know.

I use a USB stick with the Windows ISO and another which downloads the BC Drives.

As I said earlier I've just installed BC on my Home iMac ( just to test really ) and it works fine, like it should.

So I'm at a lose as to why on the other Mac things don't work out ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Question; How can I repair BC using the 'setup.exe' if I can't even get things to work once W7 is installed ?

Again thanks for the advice.

Steve

Apr 25, 2015 8:05 AM in response to golf king

1. Are the two Macs the same model/year?

2. Using a USB for ISO and a USB for BC Drivers, implies

a. you are not using BC Assistant.

b. How are you partitioning the internal disks?

c. Are you using EFI Boot to install Windows 7.

d. BCA combines the BC drivers and the Windows ISO into a single installer device, such that the the BC drivers get installed during

the installation process, not afterwards.

golf king wrote:

Question; How can I repair BC using the 'setup.exe' if I can't even get things to work once W7 is installed ?

If the external Keyboard and Mouse work properly during the installation process, but do not work after the installation, see 2d. This is because during the installation, the two devices act in unison to provide a driver environment that allows the installation to complete.

On my Mac, BC Drivers and Windows ISO are combined into a single unit by BCA. Can you post a screen shot from the Finder of two USB devices with the first level directories expanded?

Apr 25, 2015 10:06 AM in response to golf king

BCA has two (or three) options, depending on your specific Mac model. On a 13-in 2012 MBP, the BCA screen is

User uploaded file

BCA is supposed to create a single USB, not two. See the highlighted text inside the green box.

If you select the first option, the second option is checked automatically, the USB is erased, and the ISO is combined with the BC drivers on to a single USB. If you later decide that you want to install BC drivers, you check the second option only, and create a standalone USB, which has only BC drivers, not the ISO.

Did you run BCA twice, first, to build an installer, and, second, to create a standalone BC drivers USB?

Apr 25, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, I did. Then ran BCA .....

I have 2 separate USB's each one 'made' ( one for a better word ) by BC, So you are saying that I can have 1 USB with both, an ISO and The Drivers !

I was ( am ) under the impression that if I tried that that one or the other would be wiped clean, hence the 2 USB's.

So could that be ...... wait a mo' .... the Mac I built today at home with BC & W7 I installed with the 2 separate USB's though ? And it all works fine ?

I'm F .....ing confused now ... I'm old, brain not as good as it used to be ... ( by old I mean nearing the Big 6 - 0 in 16 months time ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜€ )

Apr 25, 2015 10:30 AM in response to golf king

Congratulations on the big 6-0! ๐Ÿ˜€

As a test, run BCA, remove your home iMac Windows. Now create a USB (first option), which will automatically check second option (Download software...) and will prompt you for the location of the ISO. The resulting USB will be a combined installer + BC Drivers.

If you create a second USB, only with option 2, it will not have Windows software, only Apple BC drivers.

Apr 25, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the 'congratulations' I'm not there yet but close ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰ Anyway it's only a number ๐Ÿ˜

You'll get there at some point too, but not for many years yet ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Ž

I will have a go at all of this Fine advice on Monday when I get back to work .... this will not defeat me

And then we will see what happens .... it's just baffling that it works on others ( including my Mac here at home, even though I did it with 2 USB's ) but not on the one at Work .........

I really would like to work because I'm the one ( old that I may be ) who thinks outside the Box, meaning if I can it to work with-out issues, the Powers that be

may go with my idea, buy More Mac's, install BC, and you get the best of both worlds on just one computer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now what's wrong with that ๐Ÿ˜Ž More Mac's less windows ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll report Monday if it works out.

Thanks again for your advice and time, have a good week-end

steve

Apr 25, 2015 11:54 AM in response to golf king

If one of the USBs runs the Windows installer automatically, my assumption is that you are manually running setup.exe from the second one. In that case, the second USB 'Repair's the BC drivers and should show up a UI stating the drivers it is installing. The Windows installer USB installs the BC drivers silently. This silent install can fail without any information to the user.

A Windows 7 USB (combined with ISO) looks like

User uploaded file

A Windows 8.1 USB (combined with ISO - notice the $WinPEDriver$ folder) looks like

User uploaded file

A BC Drivers only USB (BC Drivers v 5.1.5621 - older versions look different) looks like...

User uploaded file

Bootcamp - W7 issues once installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.