Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac-compatable dongle?

I am looking for a Mac-compatable dongle to improve my internet connection. I use a public wifi service (requiring a login name and password). The mast is 20m away. The wifi signal fluctuates wildly. The service provider tells me that the connection is good, but I may be getting interference from other networks.

Would AirPort Express improve my reception?

I'm using a MacBook Air 11-inch mid 2013. Running Yosemite 10.10.3. No CD player for installations.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:54 PM

Your provider is not really giving you very accurate information when they say that the connection is "good"......but you may be picking up interference from other sources. If the connection really is "good", that would mean that you are not picking up interference from other sources.

You might want to try an adapter that has a decent size antenna that might pick up the WiFi signal better than the internal antenna on your Mac. Something like this.....if the store will allow you to return it if it does not work well for you:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24727309?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018645575&wl 0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40881293192&wl4=&wl5=…

To answer your specific question, a single AirPort Express would not help your situation at all, since the Express cannot "repeat" or "boost" the signal from the public WiFi unless the public WiFi is using Apple routers.....which would be extremely unlikely.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 10:54 PM in response to newtprober

Your provider is not really giving you very accurate information when they say that the connection is "good"......but you may be picking up interference from other sources. If the connection really is "good", that would mean that you are not picking up interference from other sources.

You might want to try an adapter that has a decent size antenna that might pick up the WiFi signal better than the internal antenna on your Mac. Something like this.....if the store will allow you to return it if it does not work well for you:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24727309?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018645575&wl 0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40881293192&wl4=&wl5=…

To answer your specific question, a single AirPort Express would not help your situation at all, since the Express cannot "repeat" or "boost" the signal from the public WiFi unless the public WiFi is using Apple routers.....which would be extremely unlikely.

Apr 26, 2015 3:44 AM in response to newtprober

It was the larger antenna that caught my eye in the link above. Most manufacturers now offer downloadable software, so you might want to check on that.

There are dozens of WiFi adapters available for the Mac, probably some at your local electronics / superstore. Give them a visit and ask what they would recommend that might not require a CD installation.

Ask about the store's return policy before you buy, as this will be one of those times where you will not know how well......or even if.....a device will work until you can actually try it out where you need it.

Mac-compatable dongle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.