Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB to DAC keeps dropping when not in use.

Hi there,

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini to which I feed a USB to my Perrueaux DP32 Pre-Amp with onboard DAC, I also feed a toslink cable from the Mac Mini headphone socket to the toslink on the DP32. There are no other USB connection so only one USB output is being used.

Link to Perrueaux DP32 specifications, http://www.perreaux.com/products/audiant/audiant-dp32-usb-dac-preamplifier/audia nt-dp32-usb-dac-preamplifier

Now my problem all works well but then if left for a few days when I turn on the DP32 there is no connection from the USB and yes Perrueaux does have its own driver which is loaded on the Mac Mini.

My current solution is that I have to disconnect the USB plug from the rear of the Mac Mini and plug it in again problem resolved but surely this should not happen?

Any thoughts of solutions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, tim.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), DAC Perrueaux DP32.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:07 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2015 2:48 AM in response to lllaass

Hi there,

Many thanks for your swift reply but I should have mentioned I have tried these methods with no joy the issue still arises.

I'm left wondering does it have something to do with powering off the DP32 when not in use and thus breaking the chain between the Mac Mini via USB to the DP32?

Just a thought?

Many thanks again for your reply.

Tim.

Apr 26, 2015 4:07 AM in response to Tim-Ann

"I have a late 2012 Mac Mini to which I feed a USB to my Perrueaux DP32 Pre-Amp with onboard DAC, I also feed a toslink cable from the Mac Mini headphone socket to the toslink on the DP32."

Multiple audio outputs can sometimes exhibit odd behavior.

When this condition occurs, does the DP32 show up as an output choice in Preferences->Sound?

Also, again in the same condition, does the DP32 show up in Applications->Utilities->System Information

in the USB section?

Disconnect the Toslink interface. Do you still see the same situation?

Apr 27, 2015 3:44 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hi there,

When this occurs there is no sign of the DP32 being connected the only way to reconnect is to unplug the USB plug from the Mac Mini plug it in again and then it shows up in Preferences/Sound and Midi.

But your suggestion is something I have overlooked and will now try it over the next week and see if it resolves the issue.

Will report back soon.

Again many thanks for your prompt reply.

Tim.

USB to DAC keeps dropping when not in use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.