Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The range can’t be used as a single value.

Sorry all, a bit new to spreadsheets

I am creating a budget spreadsheet in Numbers to learn how it all works

I have a costing for Oil use; 12 monthly columns that are added together to produce a total for the year.

However there is a standing charge to be added to this for the oil tank and that is £60 per year.

So I started with a formula that states simply:

SUM(B6:M6)

This returns my yearly oil consumption cost but when I amend it to add the standing charge of £60p.a. like this

SUM(B6:M6)+60

I get the syntax error message "The range B6:M6 can't be used as a single value"

I am sure there must be an easy work around for this but I haven't found it yet.User uploaded file

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:19 AM

I don't get that error message, but the arguments for a function like SUM should be separated by commas (or semicolons, if the comma is your decimal separator), not arithmetic operators. Your expression should be:

=SUM (B6:M6,60)

or else:

=SUM (B6:M6) + 60

9 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Hmmm - this is quite a bit to take in !

OK let me ask you about another instance.

I have a column and at the top I have my Income for that month and below I have expenses incurred during that month.

What I am aiming to do is out put the profit i.e. Income minys expenses.

If I do this:

User uploaded file

I get an error

But if I do this

User uploaded file

I get a result but obviously it shows my Profit as a negative number.

That's why I find it strange.

Simply reversing the order of the values stops the formula working.

In one case the "range" (B3:B8) is producing a number value, and in the other it isn't.

The range can’t be used as a single value.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.