Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did my iPhoto folders go?

I upgraded to 10.10.3 and it transferred my iPhoto library to photos automatically without asking me if I wanted to. I had folders in iPhoto but I do not see them in the Photos app. Where did my folders go?!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:22 AM

12 replies

Apr 25, 2015 6:24 AM in response to BKVT

What do you mean by "folders in iPhoto"

iPhoto has never had "folders." You could create Albums and Events, but as far as I can tell, Photos imported all of mine.

If you had set up something inside the iPhoto Library folder, there is no way Photos would have figured that out.

Can you please describe exactly what you mean when you refer to folders in iPhoto?

Apr 25, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

iPhoto certainly does have folders (file menu ==> create new folder) - in iPhoto folders hold photos or other folders - they are used for organization

I am currently working with a small test library (which BTW is not really going well - I am not happy with Photos so far) that did not have folders in it - some one who has done a larger library will jump in here - my hope is that the folder album structure continues in Photos - but so far most of my hopes have been dashed unfortunately

LN

Apr 25, 2015 9:17 AM in response to BKVT

Moments in Photo are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. Your albums from iPhoto will be there also. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Aug 15, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Keruben

If you want to merge Album A into Album B do the following:

1 - open the sidebar with the Option+Command+S key combination.

2 - with the two albums visible in the sidebar click on A.

3 - select all of the photos in A.

4 - drag them onto the Album B icon in the sidebar to add them to B.

5 - verify all of the photos are in B.

6 - delete A from the sidebar.

Where did my iPhoto folders go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.