Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from Time Machine

I've done a fresh install of Snow Leopard as my macbook pro was not running correctly and was draining the battery very quickly. The fresh install has fixed the problem, now I want to restore my system from Time Machine but I want to be careful not to reinstall what ever was causing the problem. Is there a way of getting all my apps, user profiles and documents without bringing across settings that may have caused my macbook pro to run incorrectly?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:31 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2015 2:33 PM in response to JT24376829

JT24376829 wrote:

I had previously read that article. What exactly is the settings option importing?

As the article states, Network settings and Computer settings. For example, I have a number of different DNS server settings in Network settings from which I can choose beyond the default; they'd all be left behind if I don't import settings. Computer settings can be things like leaving the Firewall turned off.

At the same time, it may not be your settings which caused the problem; the fresh install doesn't yet have all your software back in place either. I've read that the Chrome browser tends to run a lot of processes visible in Activity Monitor while other browsers don't. If you're using Chrome, the problem could lie there rather than with your settings. I've avoided Chrome so I don't have direct experience with it.

Migrating from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.