Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme connected to Airport Extreme via Cat5

I would like to connect an N style Airport Extreme router to a New Airport Extreme AC router via Cat5 cable. I would like to be able to connect other devices to the N airport extreme using lan port on back as well as put portable hard drive on network.Would like this router to also extend wireless network. I am confused on setting, should I set to extend wireless network, set Bridge mode on or off, and should I wire AC router from LAN to Wan on N router?

Thanks for Help in advance

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:26 AM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2015 5:40 AM in response to Stanfrancis

Assuming that you have reset the old AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and connected the Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme ac to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the old AirPort Extreme......

The setup "wizard" in Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.....or....an iPhone or iPad......will practically configure everything for you automatically.

The wizard will suggest the correct setup, all that you have to do is enter a device name for the old AirPort Extreme. You don't have to worry about jargon like "extend", "create" or Bridge Mode. The wizard will choose the correct settings.

If you have an older Mac running the Leopard or Snow Leopard operating system, or a PC, then more setup will be required.

Post back to let us know what you have, and we'll provide the steps that you need.

Airport Extreme connected to Airport Extreme via Cat5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.