Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID email

Hi Team,

My Apple ID + ITunes account is set up with my hotmail account, but would like to change it to my @me or icloud account.

How do I change Apple ID email and ITunes account?

Regards,

Nic

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:58 AM

It's not clear whether you have two separate Apple IDs, one for iTunes and one for iCloud, or whether it's one ID with the Hotmail address as the login and the @icloud.com address as part of it.

If it's two separate IDs, you can sign out of iTunes and sign back in with the other ID, but you cannot transfer purchases from one ID to another, so it's not a practicable thing to do. You can change the Hotmail address for another non-Apple address which isn't associated with another Apple ID at http://appleid.apple.com

If it's the one ID you can't make the @icloud.com address the ID login, you can only change Hotmail address to another non-Apple one. In this cases that won't affect the iTunes purchases but you will have to sign out and back in again. However it will affect iCloud so you need to follow this procedure:

Firstly, if you have 'Find My iPhone/iPad/iMac' enabled on any of your devices, turn it off.

Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it has never been associated with an Apple ID).

Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.

Where it says 'Apple ID and primary email address' and gives your current ID email address, click 'edit'.

Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'.

Now you will need to go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server).

Then sign back in with your new ID. Your iCloud data will disappear from your devices when you sign out, but reappear when you sign back in.

I re-iterate: before you start, turn off 'Find My Mac' (or whatever) or you will need the services of Support.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Bobby Gentry

It's not clear whether you have two separate Apple IDs, one for iTunes and one for iCloud, or whether it's one ID with the Hotmail address as the login and the @icloud.com address as part of it.

If it's two separate IDs, you can sign out of iTunes and sign back in with the other ID, but you cannot transfer purchases from one ID to another, so it's not a practicable thing to do. You can change the Hotmail address for another non-Apple address which isn't associated with another Apple ID at http://appleid.apple.com

If it's the one ID you can't make the @icloud.com address the ID login, you can only change Hotmail address to another non-Apple one. In this cases that won't affect the iTunes purchases but you will have to sign out and back in again. However it will affect iCloud so you need to follow this procedure:

Firstly, if you have 'Find My iPhone/iPad/iMac' enabled on any of your devices, turn it off.

Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it has never been associated with an Apple ID).

Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.

Where it says 'Apple ID and primary email address' and gives your current ID email address, click 'edit'.

Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'.

Now you will need to go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server).

Then sign back in with your new ID. Your iCloud data will disappear from your devices when you sign out, but reappear when you sign back in.

I re-iterate: before you start, turn off 'Find My Mac' (or whatever) or you will need the services of Support.

Apple ID email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.