Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Photos so slow in retrieving photos from my camera?

It says it's importing my photos, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything and no photos are imported. Oh, and since my camera automatically turns off after several MINUTES (during which the photos should have been imported to Photos more than once), the screen on Photos that says it's importing (but there is no progress) disappears and Photos doesn't show that it's even connected to my camera. Yet, if I try to tell it to import again, it tells me it's already importing.

iPhoto was so much better! Photos is a piece of crap program that should never have been allowed off the drawing board!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 5:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

You started out with "Usual reason for this." You're GUESSING. You don't actually know what the problem is. Photos is a new program that just came with the update of Yosemite (which I just updated yesterday). You're automatically assuming the problem is not with Photos, but with my camera.

Reformatting my SD card in my camera will delete everything on the card. So, excuse me if I choose not to take that option.

You don't rate a thank you since you didn't offer a solution to fix the Photos program. Instead, you blamed the problem on my camera and then suggested (after suggesting I delete everything by reformatting): "You can try get the material off your card by using a card reader and the Finder or Image Capture (in the Applications Folder)." Sorry, this "Well, maybe you can try this" or "Maybe you can try that" is just guessing.

Oh, and after having to force quit Photos because it wasn't responding and then restarting my MacBook, I tried once again to import the photos from my camera. Photos says (after a good 30+ minutes) it is still importing (and there's no progress on the progress bar). So, tell me again how wonderful the Photos program is and how it can't possibly be doing anything wrong.

Apr 25, 2015 7:29 AM in response to ChanTwo

Mmmm, Crunchy.

You wander into an internet forum and expect mind readers. You half describe an issue, and a suggestion - that's right, a suggestion - is made. That suggestion is made based on some experience of this forum and the many, many, many times this problem you half describe has been reported on here. Apart from your paranoid little head, no one is blaming your camera (for goodness sake, "blaming" a "camera". Give me a break. What age are you? 7?) Whatever. It matters not a whit to me what you do, what you think. I don;t work for Apple and so, frankly, fix it or don't. I don't care.

Apr 25, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, I don't expect mind readers. I expect people to ask questions if they don't think I provided enough information. I didn't half describe anything. I wrote exactly what problem is occurring (Photos is not importing my photos, even though it says that it is). What additional information do you need? What is the other half that you claim I didn't describe?

You suggested reformatting the SD card on my camera. This will delete the photos on the SD card. So, excuse me for not following that suggestion. That you suggested reformatting the SD card (and, thus, suggested deleting my photos), is suggesting that the problem is not with the Photos program, but with the camera (more specifically, the SD card in the camera).

Why is Photos so slow in retrieving photos from my camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.