Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem migrating Iphoto library to Photos

installed 10.10.3 and Photos will not recognize (grayed out) when I attempt to import my pics from iphoto (v9.6.1) In Photos preferences it knows that my Iphoto library (on an internal drive that is not my boot drive) but that is grayed out as well. I have also tried to drag & drop but no luck.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:28 AM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Ciddly

Apologies, that was a typo - force of habit and two terribly similar app names.

Holding down the alt key in Photos will give you an option to either select or create a Library - which is the same in iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture etc.

You need to be sure you press and keep the alt key down while clicking on the icon for Photos, and don't take you finder off until the chooser appears...

Aug 19, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, I'm having some issue in migrating the iPhotos library to Photos. The problem I'm having is when i hold down the Alt key to open the library (on my MacHD iPhotos library size is 297gb) it goes to 8% and stops migrating with a message that i do not have sufficient memory on my HD in order to complete the process and i would need an addition 217gb of space. Doesn't photos use the same library and not duplicate? why would it need more HD space? My intention is to back up my entire library to 500gb iCloud storage after migrating to photos. Any ideas?

IMac OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 version

Problem migrating Iphoto library to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.