Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I safely migrate my photo library from Photos 1.0 back to iPhoto 9.6.1?

When I updated to the 10.10.3 update, it removed iPhoto from my dock, replacing it with the new Photos icon. I assumed wrongly that I could no longer use iPhoto & allowed Photos to migrate my photo library to itself. My photo library is huge, over 25K photos, and I've since realized I'd prefer if I'd kept the library in iPhoto, starting a new library with the Photos app, but I don't know how to put things back safely. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:50 AM

Launch iPhoto. Done.

With Photos: Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library' to make a new Library.

4 replies

Aug 15, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

I started using Photos when it came out and found all my pictures from iPhoto showed up correctly.

I have been using Photos now since then and have been importing new photos to there. I'm not realizing it does not do what i want.

How can I move back to iPhoto and not lose the pictures I have imported to Photos since the migration.

dave

How can I safely migrate my photo library from Photos 1.0 back to iPhoto 9.6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.