Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Computability with the New Yosemite

I know iPhoto 9.6.1 is compatible with the new Yosemite so you could still use it instead of the new Photos app. My parents were running mavericks and I was going to upgrade them to Yosemite just before this latest update went up and I missed the mark.

I'm afraid to update because I think iPhoto will no longer work.

They are running 9.5.1. I could be wrong, but I think you can't even go to 9.6 without Yosemite, no less 9.6.1 and withthout being able to update iPhoto anymore, seems like updating to the newest Yosemite would mean no more iphoto.

Is this true? Are there any work arounds? I want to keep my parent's computer up to date but they use iPhoto daily and I don't think they would take kindly to the new changes in Photos. Especially with regard to how things are organized. As an ios user I absolutely loathe the way they organize photos into years, moments, etc. I know it will drive them nuts and I'm not sure just relying on albums is good enough.

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:49 AM

You can upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.3 and then download the new version of iPhoto from the App store, but only after upgrading.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Matt Chach

You can upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.3 and then download the new version of iPhoto from the App store, but only after upgrading.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 25, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Matt Chach

I just upgraded to Yosemite in order to use Photo. However I want to revert back for a while since I cannot batch name pictures in Photo (can't find the files anywhere as described in many posts about how to do it). Photo also only sorts by date, not by title. I used the titles to sort scanned photos (which only have the date of the scan) into order in years before I used digital cameras.

I tried opening iPhoto in Yosemite now and it says it's not compatible. When I search the App store I says not found.

Does anyone know if an update is coming out or if there is a workaround?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 25, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Old Toad

OT, yes thank you. I rarely go there unless the auto update opens it. Found iPhoto, reinstalled it and it opened!

The main reason I wanted to use the old iPhoto was because I can't seem to batch change names of pictures. I've found very good tutorials on how to do this in Yosemite but can't find my picture files. Only find the Photo library which only opens the Photo app, not any folders with the individual files. Any suggestions on how to find them?

Thank you, Cindy

Apr 25, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yes that is what I have been doing. But there seems to be no way to do this in Photo instead. All the tutorials for Photo seem to say it's easy to change the filename in the Finder, but I can't find those files. I know how to change filenames in batch, but I can't find the pictures files themselves to do it.

The only way I can think of is instead of loading pictures directly into Photo, load them into a folder on my desktop, make the changes, and put them into Photo. I tested this and when they went back, the old (or no) titles reverted and I lost the changes I made in the finder batch rename.

Hence, my rollback to iPhoto to continue doing this.

Cindy

iPhoto Computability with the New Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.