Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laundry List of Problems with New Photos App...

This isn't really a question, per se, but a list of complaints that others might have input on workarounds.

1. I made a habit of downloading my photos to the computer after each activity that merited it. As such, the images were naturally sorted into Events that neatly matched. As far as I can tell, my images are all in one giant jumble of crap now. Did I miss a step in the transition where it asked me if I wanted to keep my Events as Albums in the new app or is this just something I'm going to have to do manually? (I guess I did have a question...)

2. I try to avoid deleting my photos from my SD cards until I have them backed up in at least two locations. As such, I end up relying on the app's ability to recognize the previously imported from the new. This afternoon, I put the SD card in and it did just that, however the import buttons were disabled and even selecting the new images didn't re-enable them. I had something else to do, so I properly ejected the SD card and came back later. Now when I put the SD card in, it ONLY sees the old photos and doesn't even recognize the new ones as old ones. They are completely invisible to the app. And it won't let me import from an SD card with the Import function, simply "graying out" the folders on the card so they can not be selected. I had to drag-copy the files into an empty folder on my desktop and then import from that location. This is precisely n-1 steps too many.

It really seems like this application could have used several more weeks of bug testing before being released. I'm not prepared to say that it is definitively worse than iPhoto (which wasn't exactly phenomenal), but it really seems like a weak excuse to cram the iCloud down your throat. That might be the corporate goal, since they keep putting tiny HDs in the MacBooks, despite the rapidly improving SSD technology and declining prices.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 7:11 AM

In Photos your Events were converted to Albums. Easiest access is if you enable the sidebar (View Menu)

I've seen a couple pf reports of oddities with importing from cards. Nothing to help you there I'm afraid.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html is the place for feature requests and feedback

11 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Yer_Man

I must have looked at that sidebar a dozen times and never noticed the "iPhoto Events" album. My brain was looking for the original iPhoto Event names, not a parent directory. I also poked around the Apple site for an hour yesterday and never found that page you linked. Of course, I'm temporarily in China and the internet here is hella buggy (a webpage may load one time in ten, but you never know when it will be).

May 24, 2015 5:40 AM in response to Sasquatch Fingers

I have had the very same experience with the new Photos app. Basically, it feels like a major downgraded version of iPhoto. With many of the pervious organizing features removed. Apples response to this is to provide feedback on the the following site if you want to see improvements. https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html unfortunately this site limits characters so it's difficult to report a full description of all the issues Photos app has. also here is an example of how effective providing feedback is. When Apple updated iPhoto in September of 2014, the "events from our Mac" would sync in random order to the iPhone and iPad, making it impossible to find a particular event if you have a large photo library. I open 4 cases with apple care, had many Genius Bar appointments, provided feedback to the Apple iPhoto feedback site consistently for the next 7 months. They finally fixed the issue and syncing photos from our Macs to our iPhones and iPads was once again back in chronological order!!! A week latter Photos app is released and they removed the entire "organize by events" option complely. All we have now is the collections view which overlaps and splits up photos from different events into other events based on apples date and time profile. (Point there is it's not by user preference.) Or the albums option which has extra steps add to the process and very un user friendly and inconvenient. Both of these organization process are not useful when trying to share photoss with others. I believe that was the soul puprose of the events function. To give the user the option to organize photos into separate events by their own specifications??? And then to sync those events in that same order to our iPads and iPhones. Considering how long it took for the last fix to take place, I'm not very optimistic about the future of the Photos app. I believe it will take a lot of feedback from many people to make a difference???

May 24, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Sasquatch Fingers

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

May 24, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Old Toad

I appreciate your response on this issue. At least I'm not the only one that has noticed this change. What you explained is exactly how I have my photos set up now. However like you stated, to organize photos you have to work in and out of multiple windows and folders while also working on the sidebar and in the photos viewing window. While this is possible it would be a monumental task for those of us with large libraries. (20,000+) In iPhoto we could simply break up the photos from the "all photos" view into events then title them from that view and then they would be automatically sorted by date in chronological order like one might have real paper and cardboard photo album kept. Then these events were synced to iPad and iPhone in the exact same order as a group of events chronologically. With photo libraries in the 10s, 20s, 30 plus thousands this make it possible to fine particular events easily. Also you can share just one particular event with someone without showing them photos from another event. The "collections/moments" view has photos organized separated by day, location, device and so on, causing photos from like events to be overlapped, mixed with other events, separated from like events all at the same time. Which is a very un usable format for anything. Apple seems to be very proud of this messy format??? Once again, I appreciate your response and I hope it will help others that are experiencing the same issue. My main point to Apple is they created the "Events organization format" 13 years ago so we the users would organize our photos in that format. So we did. 13 years and 20 thousand plus photos latter, and they pull the rug out from under us. Eliminating "sorting by events from the all photos view" and requiring a whole new lengthly process. I understand improvements, progress and moving forward. However, they need to maintain the basic functions when adding new ones, or the new functions can't be fully utilized. Currently my photo library is in a state of shock and disarray, and temporary hold, waiting for a restoration of the basic iPhoto functions. I've been sending this feedback to Apple via Photos feedback site, I also have several open tech support cases with apple on the issue. However, to get a fix I believe feedback will have to come form a large source of people with the same concern. And forums and sites like this also help to spread the word and escalate the issue to a point of needing attention. Hopefully this thread will continue and the faster it does the better chance we have of a solution. It only took seven months to get the last fix on iPhotos syncing problem, maybe we can get this one in three or four???

May 24, 2015 1:16 PM in response to rmac1300

Events came into the iPhoto world in 2007 and, with iPhoto v7, part of iLife 08. That's seven years not 13. Prior to that we had Camera Rolls for all the previous versions of iPhoto (v1 to v6).

Roll back this forum to 2007 and you'll find load of people saying exactly the same thing about Events that you are now saying about Moments.

What has not changed since v1 of iPhoto are Albums. This the basic function that has not changed. For people who can't be bothered to organise their Photos you've had Rolls, then Events and now Moments. For people who want to organise, albums have remained as a basic unchanged feature. You've chosen to use Events as Albums and unfortunately find yourself in your current situation.

You now have a choice:

1. Keep using iPhoto for as long as it runs

2. Change your organisational paradigm to match Photos

3. Use another app and change your organisational paradigm to match whatever it offers.

Perhaps Apple will somehow change the basic organisational feature. Biut to do this would mean rethinking the Mac, Cloud and iOS apps. Frankly, I don't see the remotest chance of that happening, but what do I know. In the meantime, you can complain or act on one of your choices.

May 24, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yes iPhoto has had many different ways of organizing photos from rolls to albums to events to moments and so on. However, In the current Photos version they have removed the option to sort photos from the "All photos" view which is a thumbnail view of all photos and makes it very easy to select and move photos to and form events no matter where in the time line they happen to be. We could delete, duplicate, move photos to a prior event or future event and we could title them with a name like "Sea World, Disneyland, Carlsbad Apple Store, and then put a specific date for each event and all of this was done on the same page "All photos" view (thumbnail view) simply and then automatically organized chronologically. I agree, your correct albums has not changed and still remains an option. Unfortunately it's just not as fluid and simple as the events option was and would require re-vamping an entire photo library of 20 plus thousand photos. Apple created the events organizational structor, many of us used it, and now they pulled it. It could have been that they removed the Albums function, on this upgrade or it maybe the next to go. Point I'm making to Apple is that core functions like these need to be preserved or at least made an option when they add the new organizational feature so we don't have to completely destructor our ever increasing libraries so often. Apple did preserved albums in the current Photos version, and events was a function since 2007, so I don't think they would have to re design the program to continue the feature. I agree with the points you made and for the mean time I'll be making due with the new app. However, thats what the forums like this one, feedback sites, and tech support are for. So the customer can offer feedback on products so they can improve on them not just deal with them. Again, I appreciate your response and hope this thread continues to draw attention to the matter. It worked last time on the iPhoto syncing issue.

May 24, 2015 3:17 PM in response to rmac1300

Humm

strange

Photos does not have events and photo events did not ever operate like you describe and no sort options have been removed from Photos or all Photos

On the other hand albums did and still do operate exactly like you say you want to operate

And as Old Toad describes simulating the old events is as trivial as selecting all in last import and going to File menu ==> create new album

and once more your are wrong - this site is not for tech support of for feedback - it is plain and simple a forum for volunteer experienced users to assist others - nothing more, nothing less -- not a path to Apple, not a place to provide feedback, not a place to suggest enhancements - nothing more than users helping other users

LN

Laundry List of Problems with New Photos App...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.