Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ESPN locking up Safari

For the past couple of days, when I go to the NBA within ESPN and click on what appears to be any link, the link won't work and after a moment I get the spinning beach ball and when I later click on Force Quit, I see that it says,

Safari Web Content Not Responding

It also lists Safari as an app I can quit but it also list the above as a separate item. Don't know that I've ever seen that before. Anyway, you can Force Quit the Web Content and then Safari itself but it seems to do no good as when you come back to that page, the same thing happens again.

Thoughts??? thanks...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 7:50 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Robert Paris

Try another browser as a test.

Firefox

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

May 22, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Firefox works fine on ESPN while Safari continues to fail continuously on the same webstie. Tried all the things you mentioned but none of them helped. If I load an ESPN page (home page) on Safari, as I approach a link the cursor remains as an arrow. If I use that arrow and click on any link, the site freezes, beach ball starts to spin and if you go to Force Quit and watch, in a few moments not Safari but instead Safari Web Content shows up red and says it's not responding...

So it is ONLY Safari and so far ONLY one the main ESPN page. Any other ideas??? thanks... bob

May 23, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Robert Paris

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear and again when you log in. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don’t do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

May 23, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Eric Root

didn't do the new user test as I'm not sure how hard that is to get rid of afterward. But I did boot in Safe mode. Exactly the same problem. Safari freezes when clicking on any link (cursor never becomes a hand/finger over links when in this troubled state but again just stays as an arrow) with just the arrow cursor and shortly thereafter the spinning beach ball. Then shortly after that, Force Quit menu shows that "Safari Web Content" is not responding. So same in Safe as well as regular. Again, Firefox works fine for all of this...

May 24, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Robert Paris

Today, like everyday, I went to ESPN using Safari and today, it worked just fine. It did that one other time, one other day, and then went back to not working on subsequent days so this likely is not solved. But how interesting that it works one day, fails for maybe the next 10 in a row (all day) and then works again on another, sporadic day. Wonder what could cause conditions to change from day to day. ???

ESPN locking up Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.