Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UK flexible default activation policy

Dear Sirs,

I brought a 2nd hand IPhone 5 on Ebay, Seller said that is unlocked, and also in activation check on Apple site said is free for a new user.

But I can not activate it with my carrier sim Vodafone Portugal.

I think that I can not activate it do " flexible default activation policy".

What I can do?

I am from Portugal by the way.

Regads,

Licínio

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 7:45 AM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Licínio Santos

It sounds like you checked on one of the many bogus IMEI sites that claim to be able to tell you details about your device.

What it means is that the phone was sold as SIM-free, not Unlocked. A SIM-free phone will work on any carrier within the UK, but will lock to the first carrier that the phone is registered with. So it becomes a locked phone once it has been used with a carrier. You will have to find out which carrier it is locked to and see if their policy will allow unlocking.

The Apple activation check is not for carrier locks, it is for Activation Lock, which is the theft deterrent feature of the iPhone.

The best thing to do is to return the phone for a refund, unless the previous owner can get the carrier they used it with to unlock it.

UK flexible default activation policy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.