Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what to use instead of iDVD?

I have home VHS transferred to DVDs through a store. I was told I could make copies for family. Can I do this just by inserting it in my iMac w/ Yosemite? (steps please, I don't want to mess up the only disk w/ home movies. The file has the Video_TS.VOB. I started to convert to MPEG-4 in order to import to iMovie... not working, stuck optimizing for hours, but iDVD just drops in and does fine, but this is still multiple steps. Handbreak to convert, iDVD to burn but not much editing options)

Previously I've made dvd's w/ iMovie 9 & 11 + iDVD for the cool themes. I still have these (went back to iMovie 9 for easier export into iDVD). But I was wondering what is the NEW-Fun-Friendliest way to create: import, edit, (conversion, themes, titles, trim, music, burn) since iDVD doesn't even come w/ new Macs?

I also have Adobe Premier Elements 10... just get overwhelmed and bogged down in Photoshop Elements so I've always stayed away from trying to learn Premier. Realistic/ Affordable suggestions would be great IF apple doesn't have these things built in Yosemite somewhere?! Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:38 AM

iDVD Is a tool for creating DVDs. There is no substitute or alternative to iDVD.

However, it sounds like your DVD is already made and you just want to make copies. If that is true, the Mac OS system utilities can do this for you.

1. Insert the DVD/CD;

2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD/CD from the left side list Select the disc (not just the disc session) you want to copy from the listing on the left. (Select the DVD/CD icon on top.)

3. From the File menu, choose New and then choose Image from "your disk name").

4. Enter a file name and choose "DVD/CD Master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

5. Click the Create/Save button. After the image has been created (you will get a .cdr file) you should see it in the disk listing in the Disk Utility window.

6. Eject the DVD disc.

(If you wish to make a DVD from this file, continue with the steps below.)

7. Select the disk image you created from the listing.

8. Click the Burn icon in the toolbar.

9. When prompted, insert a blank DVD disc.

10. Click the Burn button.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 10:38 AM in response to c.nett

iDVD Is a tool for creating DVDs. There is no substitute or alternative to iDVD.

However, it sounds like your DVD is already made and you just want to make copies. If that is true, the Mac OS system utilities can do this for you.

1. Insert the DVD/CD;

2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD/CD from the left side list Select the disc (not just the disc session) you want to copy from the listing on the left. (Select the DVD/CD icon on top.)

3. From the File menu, choose New and then choose Image from "your disk name").

4. Enter a file name and choose "DVD/CD Master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

5. Click the Create/Save button. After the image has been created (you will get a .cdr file) you should see it in the disk listing in the Disk Utility window.

6. Eject the DVD disc.

(If you wish to make a DVD from this file, continue with the steps below.)

7. Select the disk image you created from the listing.

8. Click the Burn icon in the toolbar.

9. When prompted, insert a blank DVD disc.

10. Click the Burn button.

what to use instead of iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.