Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email attachments - recipients can't open them

Hi

Can anyone help me?

No matter which format my pages attachments are in - recipients can't open them.

I use a gmail account to send them.

Had an appointment at a Genius Bar the staff took no notice of my presence in store!

I am not happy!!!

Help??????????

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:54 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Greenpinkies

You say you have a problem, but you give no data that helps others decide how to help you. What OS X version? What Pages version on your machine? Are the recipients exclusively Mac users, or mixed Mac and Windows?  ▸ About this Mac. Pages menu ▸ About Pages.

It matters to know this, because Apple has created not only the worlds' most exclusive document format, but one that is incompatible among some versions of Pages itself.

Pages is one issue. In Apple Mail, launch a compose window. In the toolbar, is a paperclip icon. Click this. You are not going to attach anything. Just verify that you have checked, Send Windows-Friendly Attachments, and then cancel this window, and then click the red traffic light icon in the upper left of the compose window to avoid creating a draft document. Quit Mail.

Apr 26, 2015 7:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi

Thank you so much for responding!

However, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! I bought this Mac Book just over a year ago, I was not offered any training on whatsoever therefore my Apple "experience" is minimal. Everything I do has been self taught.

All I can tell you is that I do all the upgrades as they happen so I guess I am up to date.

My recipients are both Mac & Microsoft users.

I submit my invoices via my gmail email account so the loss of this facility is causing havoc with my cash flow.

I am very close to abandoning this piece of kit - yes going back to posting my invoices - and going back to Microsoft on a laptop!

I am so very frustrated!

Apr 26, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Greenpinkies

If you go for help in the Apple Store you have to make your presence known to the person organising the Genius Bar appointments. Don't just hang around.

Also whilst you may be unhappy and having a gripe, it doesn't get us very far.

Start with looking under the  menu. What does it say in About this Mac? Under Mac OSX is the version.

Next switch to Pages.

What does it say under About Pages?

When you say no matter what formats your pages attachments are in, what formats are they?

Most people will not be able to read .pages documents unless they also have Pages and the same version of Pages running on a Mac because there is no Windows version.

Most people however will be able to read Text (.txt), Word (.doc/x) or PDF (.pdf) files.

If you are more comfortable with Windows and possibly Microsoft Office have you tried Word for Mac?

Peter

Apr 26, 2015 8:30 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter

Many thanks! Got this-

OSX Yosemite

I can't find about Pages in Pages.

I convert my documents to PDF and Word but no-one can open them.

I found yesterday's "visit" to the store absolutely humiliating. Just because I am older I seemed to be invisible. I sat at the Genius bar for over 15minutes having "checked in". I am a "customer" and I had an "appointment". It was a miserable time!

Linda

Email attachments - recipients can't open them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.