Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro Retina takes a long time to turn on?

I don't know when is exactly this started but I recently updated to 10.10.3 and did not install any new applications. When I click the power button the screen lights up but it takes about 1-2 minutes for the Apple logo to pop up. After the Apple logo appears, the Mac boots up fast as usual. My MacBook Pro Retina used to just take seconds to turn on and the Apple logo used to appear immediately. One day this just started happening. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 12:19 PM

Hello jstalzer,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear if you are shutting down/restarting your machine each time, or if you are waking it from sleep/standby. Either way, if you are having issues with slow startup or waking, you may want to check the following steps:

If exiting standby or waking is slow

Your Mac might seem to be taking longer then usual to start up or seem slow to wake from sleep or standby. If this is the case, make sure the startup disk is set correctly in the Startup Disk preferences.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
  2. Choose Startup Disk from the View menu.
  3. Make sure your internal drive is selected.

About standby on your Mac - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 12:19 PM in response to jstalzer

Hello jstalzer,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear if you are shutting down/restarting your machine each time, or if you are waking it from sleep/standby. Either way, if you are having issues with slow startup or waking, you may want to check the following steps:

If exiting standby or waking is slow

Your Mac might seem to be taking longer then usual to start up or seem slow to wake from sleep or standby. If this is the case, make sure the startup disk is set correctly in the Startup Disk preferences.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
  2. Choose Startup Disk from the View menu.
  3. Make sure your internal drive is selected.

About standby on your Mac - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

May 9, 2015 10:46 PM in response to brenden dv

I too am experiencing the same thing right after the update to 10.10.3! I hope there is some sort of resolve to this. I'm also experience slow restarts and shut downs. I plan to make a trip to the Apple store soon and see if there is any additional help I can get there. So far repairing disk permissions, PRAM and SMC reset, removing boot up items like Drop Box and booting into Safe Mode have been all unsuccessful.

My Macbook Pro Retina takes a long time to turn on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.