Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete my old Aperture/iPhoto Library after migration to Photos?

Hello

one quick question:

After migrating my old Aperture/combined iPhoto picture library into "Photos", can I simply delete my old library?

The correlating apple support documents just references "you might be tempted to delete..." but doesn't quite clarify. It seems I am wasting space if I keep my old libraries as they are, since I am now only using Photos.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:09 AM

You can

But I would not

It will save very little space and if you need them for any reason you will not have them - and you can not go back from Photos to iPhoto

Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

LN

6 replies

Apr 25, 2015 10:09 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry.

Yes, that's the referenced document I meant. It seems unfinished, in a way. Apple does not say what happens if you do delete your old library, or whether you should or should not delete the old library.

Thanks.

I will then keep my old library for the time being, seeing as it doesn't seem to be wasting (much) space then.

Apr 25, 2015 1:02 PM in response to man-ngai

If you delete the old library nothing will happen to the Photos library. They are not interconnected. Just be very sure that the new Photos, which is missing many of iPhoto's features, will do the job for you before you burn your bridges. If you read thru the forums you'll find that many are sorry they did because Photos is essentially a dumbed down version of iPhoto.

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 2:35 AM in response to man-ngai

It seems I am wasting space if I keep my old libraries as they are, since I am now only using Photos.

And keep the Aperture application and iPhoto application installed as well. It will be very difficult to reinstall them, if you find, that Photos is not yet sufficient for your needs.

What Photos cannot do:

• Batch change titles and captions.
  • Add Places to the photos, to show them on a map.
  • Add ratings,other than "Favourites".
  • Use external editors
  • Name the events.

And most of the smart tools from Aperture are missing, like defining adjustment presets, brushing in adjustments, show metadata tags below the images, and many more.

So you may want to be able to fall back on the more advanced applications from time to time.

Can I delete my old Aperture/iPhoto Library after migration to Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.