Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk mail in Apple Mail still put into Inbox

Somehow, I got onto the lists of several email senders with whose politics I completely disagree. Although I have consistently sent them to the Junk folder in Apple Mail, any new ones go right to my Inbox. Why are they not being filtered and put automatically into the Junk folder? Many legitimate messages are put there in error.

I've set at least a couple of the senders to "Bounce" by marking messages from those senders in my Junk folder as ones that I want bounced, but that just gets me a bunch of messages saying that delivery failed. So now, instead of just sending all the awful political messages I get to Junk and deleting them, I am getting notifications of each bounced message.

All I want is either for the hateful messages to be put into Junk or for them to stop altogether. I haven't unsubcribed because I've read that all that does is to let the senders know that I actually exist. Any advice? I won't tell you all the kind of messages I'm getting, because some among you may agree with the senders' politics and point of view. That is your right, but since I don't share those views, I'd like to let the senders send their mail only to you. Thank you, everyone. I hope to get an answer or answers to my question.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:05 AM

11 replies

Apr 21, 2017 11:41 AM in response to jennywren1420

I also have this issue. I can't get the email of one particular sender to be marked as junk. I thought the MacOS Mail app was supposed to "learn" my junk mail preferences. I find the MacOS junk mail filtering to be a very uncontrollable thing. I would like to have a little more control over it. I wish Apple would open that up a little.

Does anyone have a way to force a sender to junk?

Apr 25, 2015 11:10 AM in response to seventy one

Thank you, and I won't bounce any more messages. I didn't give any of the groups my email address, though. All I can think of that my cursor (which is kind of twitchy) accidentally took me to a Website for one of the groups (possibly, it was in the margin of a Facebook list). I got out of the Website without clicking on anything, but somehow, even having been on that page for a second or two encouraged that group to think that I'd receive their mail and to give my address to other groups of the same ilk. I've no idea how they got my address.

I am pretty much resigned now that I'll continue to get messages from groups like that (there seem to be more and more, so they must be sharing the address). What I can't understand is why the messages aren't being sent directly to Junk. Many legitimate messages end up there, and I have to mark them "Not junk" and transfer them to my inbox. Why wouldn't mail that I've consistently marked as junk not be sent there? Is there something I can do to alert the Apple Mail software that I want that? (It hasn't entirely caught on with some of the legit mail I get, but I think it's getting a little better.)

Thanks again for your message. At least, I've learned to ask Mail to bounce messages. I read, in the Help section on unwanted messages that that was the thing to do, but I won't do it, anymore.

Best,

Jenny

Apr 25, 2015 11:38 AM in response to jennywren1420

Dear Jenny,

Sometimes Mail takes some time to work out what is junk and what is needed. Further, Facebook is

a constant source of problems. Why don't you set up a private email address for what matters in your life so that you can simply strike out the problems that come from other areas without thinking about them.

I hope you sort it out and send you my best wishes. I can see how difficult this can be.

Apr 26, 2015 3:03 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric Root, for your thoughtful answer, but that's the way I've already got it marked. I did, however, change the setting that allowed mail from my previous recipients, so maybe the unwanted mail will now go there after I mark it as junk. Of course, that will mean that Mail (which mistakenly marks some of my very-much-wanted mail as junk, but I hope that after a while, that will cease as I take the junk marking off the wanted mail and transfer it to my inbox. At least, Mail doesn't put wanted mail into the Junk folder as often as Gmail does. Gmail's filtering is really over the top, but they don't seem to catch some of the mail I hate to get.

I shall persist, though, and hope that in time it will all get straightened out.

Thanks again,

Jenny

Junk mail in Apple Mail still put into Inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.