Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I chose the option to upgrade the iPhoto library and its now a Photos library but nothing.

Hi, can someone help me please??!?!

I just upgraded and now have Photos rather than iPhoto on my Mac. Only thing is the photos do not load!

I chose the option to upgrade the iPhoto library and its now a Photos library but nothing. I click on my 26GB photos icon in Pictures and all I get is an empty Photos page saying I can drag, import photos etc - but I can't with the library!!!

Help please!

<Re-Titled By Host>

iPad 2, iMac 2011 and iPhone 6

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:18 AM

13 replies

Apr 25, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney. When I open Photos it just gives me the four options, connect a camera, drag photos, iCloud and connect a camera.

I had already gone through the set up so the library should link. I was clicking on the library to get it to open manually but it won't. It just brings up Photos and the four options. nothing.

Any thoughts really appreciated.

cheers.

Apr 25, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Realjimmythefish

Realjimmythefish wrote:

Hi Barney. When I open Photos it just gives me the four options, connect a camera, drag photos, iCloud and connect a camera.

I had already gone through the set up so the library should link. I was clicking on the library to get it to open manually but it won't. It just brings up Photos and the four options. nothing.

Any thoughts really appreciated.

cheers.

That sounds like a Startup tutorial. I can't remember what I saw the first time I opened Photos. If it is the tutorial, there should be a "Get Started" button or something like that. After running through the tutorial, it should show your photos, if it actually imported the iPhoto Library.

The Sidebar is hidden by default. The command to toggle it is in the View menu.

Apr 26, 2015 2:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

Ok guys sorry, screen shots below. I now have Photos libraries x 3, none of which work.

So, I try and open Photos and I am shown the 'Welcome to Photos' page as below. If I then try and import either the if library or one of the (now 3) Photos libraries I can't as they are 'greyed out'. Cant click on them or anything. I have been through the start up process for this so it should just work right?

User uploaded file

Greyed out....

User uploaded file

From the Finder window, however, the icons are not greyed out but I can't drag and drop them from there either.

The below screen shot shows the size of the Photo's library but it just will not bring it into the new Photos app. Its almost 26GB. So, I have the photos but they will not show.

User uploaded file

It could be me but I've never had this problem before.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers.

Apr 26, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Realjimmythefish

Well, for some reason, it cannot import your old iPhoto Library.

You can "Import" the photos by using the Import function in the File menu.

When the dialog opens to select the source, type cmd-shift-g. In the dialog that opens, paste this path: ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters

That will have it import all the image files, but you will lose all of your Albums, Folders, Events, keywords, etc.

I chose the option to upgrade the iPhoto library and its now a Photos library but nothing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.