Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook's (Yosemite 10.10.2 ) Time Machine backup of encrypted hard disk lost

I have a Macbook Pro with an encrypted hard drive. A time machine backup of my hard drive has been lost. The back up was not encrypted. Although the original hard disk was encrypted, how easy is it to access my lost time machine data?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:51 AM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2015 10:03 AM in response to jupe240

Hello jupe240,

Unfortunately, if the backup is not encrypted, virtually all files will be readable by anyone with a Mac. Your keychains that have your passwords and credit-cards will still be encrypted. I recommend encrypting all external drives. The only thing you don't need to encrypt would be USB flash drives that you use to share data with other people.

My Macbook's (Yosemite 10.10.2 ) Time Machine backup of encrypted hard disk lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.