Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't charge or stay charged

Since yesterday morning, my iphone 5 battery has been acting up. It was at 45% when suddenly, it dropped down to 1% and died. Ever since then, the phone would just randomly die. Sometimes it would turn back on and sometimes, it'd show that that battery was too low and I needed to charged it. But the battery would be at 50%. It's the next day and it's worse than before. It won't even stay on without the charger and the battery would say it's at 100%. Sometimes, when I plug it back into the charger, the Apple symbol would appear like it was about to turn on but then it would just turn off again. Now, I plugged it into my laptop to try and restore it but now it says the battery is too low for it to be used (even though it's at 100%) and it's been like that for 5 minutes now. Normally, I know it would only take it a couple minutes to get it to a decent charge. I'm really frustrated and I can't even get it to turn on to restore it. PLEASE HELP!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:57 AM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2015 10:14 AM in response to maiya

Hello there, maiya.

It can certainly be frustrating when a device you rely on doesn't work as expected. Great job so far with the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. The following Knowledge Base article provides some additional steps for troubleshooting your issue:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

You might see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen for a long time during start up. Try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 mintues, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

User uploaded file

What to do next

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging and resetting.
  • You see a black screen, but can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond to when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
  • You can't force your device to restart because your Home button or Sleep/Wake button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

iPhone 5 won't charge or stay charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.