Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos no longer uploading

I've been using the new "iCloud Photos" to sync photos between my phone, iMac, and iPad. A few days ago, my photo stopped uploading photos. Under "Settings" > "iCloud" > "Photos", I see "19 Photos to Upload" and a progress bar that isn't updating. In Photos on my Mac, new new pictures are being added from my phone, but they continue to get added from my iPad.

I have already looked at this support page, but it doesn't seem to address my problem: Get help using My Photo Stream - Apple Support

I've tried turning "Upload to My Photo Stream" off and on. I haven't yet tried turning "iCloud Photo Library" off and on again, as it took my phone several days to sync initially.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:24 PM

I decided, reluctantly, to disable and re-enable into iCloud Photos by going to Settings > iCloud > Photos > switch off "iCloud Photo Library". I got a warning that all photos would be removed from my phone. As expected, I lost all of my thumbnail images. Under "iCloud Photo Library", I went from having "19 photos to Upload" to having hundreds of photos to upload. I started it around 10pm last night then let my phone sit so it could re-sync. In the morning, my phone was incredibly hot and had only re-synced thumbnails through early 2015, but showed no more photos to upload. When I opened Photos on my Mac, I saw that my most recent photos were there.

So this fixed worked, but at the trade off that it will probably take several more days to download the thumbnails of my entire library, with decreased battery life in the process.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 9:24 PM in response to elmiller

I decided, reluctantly, to disable and re-enable into iCloud Photos by going to Settings > iCloud > Photos > switch off "iCloud Photo Library". I got a warning that all photos would be removed from my phone. As expected, I lost all of my thumbnail images. Under "iCloud Photo Library", I went from having "19 photos to Upload" to having hundreds of photos to upload. I started it around 10pm last night then let my phone sit so it could re-sync. In the morning, my phone was incredibly hot and had only re-synced thumbnails through early 2015, but showed no more photos to upload. When I opened Photos on my Mac, I saw that my most recent photos were there.

So this fixed worked, but at the trade off that it will probably take several more days to download the thumbnails of my entire library, with decreased battery life in the process.

May 5, 2015 9:28 PM in response to lhspeight

I do have several shared albums and they appear to be unaffected by this process. I don't think they were even removed from my phone when I logged out of iCloud Photos. All of the images under "Shared" > "Activity" are fine, going back almost a year. Meanwhile, I still don't have back all of the thumbnails under "Photos" > "Collections" > "Years". I just see blank gray squares with an small iCloud icon. I have to tap into a year then into a month to force the phone to download the image. On the plus side, I my new photos taken on my phone are still uploading to iCloud Photos.

iCloud Photos no longer uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.