Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine back up is stuck on Preparing backup... any suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 10:43 AM

Have you performed any recent updates on your Mac? If yes, Time Machine has to take a look at everything again....very slowly....before it will start to make a new backup.

Hopefully, you have your Mac connected to the backup drive using a wired connection via Ethernet or USB. If not, wireless on average will take at least 2-3 times longer.

Let the process run. One user who posted recently had to let his Mac run 36+ hours before it actually started to backup, which took another 6-8 hours.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Drawb365

Have you performed any recent updates on your Mac? If yes, Time Machine has to take a look at everything again....very slowly....before it will start to make a new backup.

Hopefully, you have your Mac connected to the backup drive using a wired connection via Ethernet or USB. If not, wireless on average will take at least 2-3 times longer.

Let the process run. One user who posted recently had to let his Mac run 36+ hours before it actually started to backup, which took another 6-8 hours.

Apr 25, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob. I had installed a software program a week ago and became aware that no updates were being made after the installation to my Time Capsule. At that point I thought I should have a complete (nearly 1 T) Time Machine back up to an external drive via a Thunderbolt connection but after about 24 hours the external drive became unmounted for some reason. So I thought I'd retry using my wireless and wired Time Capsule since it should have only a small amount to update and backup. The Time Capsule is what is stuck on Preparing backup. Thanks

Apr 25, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Drawb365

If a database is tied to Lightroom, or an image library, then technically everything in the database or library has likely changed due to the update, so Time Machine will make a new backup of the database, or your image library.

If that is the case, which I suspect, then the backup is going to take some time depending on the size of your image library.....and the application itself.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.